Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

anyone changed the connecting rods? oil pan= easy fix?

ok heres the deal.. bought an 86 944 not running... the kid tore the engine down to the pistons... he says the problem is a broken connecting rod... if it is this, I heard that you can simply take off the oil pan and fix it from there... can anyone confirm or deny this and if you've done it a little advise is much appreicated, thank you... also... while Im at it I might as well ask if there is somewhere I can go online with step by step for rebuilding the engine... I just need to know in what order the parts go back on. thanks guys... help a newb out!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Engine throws a rod and you're just gonna replace it and go? Yeah, you can drop the pan and do it that way...but why would you want to? That's like a band-aid over a bullet wound...

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-25-2004, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeas, it can be done. However, you would need to check the cylinder surface completely to make sure there are no scratches or gouges in the metal.

Same thing for the piston.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-25-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

AFJuvat....sagt welche die holle ihre unterschrift?

(pending I said THAT right....)

Old 08-25-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

what should I do? instead of just replacing it?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

the propper thing to do is pull the block and completely tear it down and rebuild. A thrown rod dows all kinds of damage in to the internals. You have to thing about it...at idle alone the that rod is moving up and down 900 times a minute. Without anything to control it's movement (attached at both ends to crank and piston) it just flails around wildly. It'll gouge teh cylinder walls and the piston and cause all kinds of damage adn debris to be knocked loose. That debris will travel through the oiling system causing more damage.

Then you have to think about what happened to cause it to throw a rod....most cars don't just spontaneously throw out.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

ok well its stripped down to basically the block anyways... how hard is it to yank out the engine? do I have to remove the radiator? do I have to remove the tranny? how many motor mounts are there? I found 2 on each side and 2 underneath?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

mount on either side....removing the radiator is a very healthy precaution...just unbolt the torque-tube as far as I know. If you've already got the block stripped it's easiest to just pull it.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

cool, I'll give it a shot tommorow night and let you guys know how it goes... how hard is the rebuild going to be? I wish I was the one who stripped it down so I knew how to put it back together
Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

putting an EFI engine back together isn't that much harder than anything else....a lot of the parts are pretty self-explanatory.

REbuilds are generally NOT hard. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "pointing in the general direction of your car" and 10 being "pointing your mechanic in the general direction of your car"), I'd give it a 6. Actually removing the engine is harder....

(IF the 944 block isn't that much different from any other EFI engine...)

Old 08-25-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

whats this about a harness? I've been looking aroudn and everyone stresses about what to do with the harness before pulling the engine. also do I have to unbolt the tranny? I hear I should just pull it out with the engine... ALSO.. (sorry) can I lift it out of the car I've been hearing that your supposed to drop it out the bottom? I dont know if I have the tools to do that.. sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your help.. one more thing... someone wants to sell me rods from their 951... will these work? are they stronger because they are for the turbo motor?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
ummmmmmmm if you threw a rod.

Start looking for a used engine. $500 bucks will get you running.

A rebuild on these blocks is $$$$$.

Mak has the engine removal partly right. Torque tube comes off........... and normally so does the tranny Kinda hard to pull the torque tube back away from the bellhousing....

You can either drop the engine or pull (lots of tips and + and - on how to do it either way)......... but figure out what you want to do before you get to attached to this car. This will start costing you big bucks if you are not carefull......

Have fun...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-25-2004, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
Rebuilds are generally NOT hard. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being "pointing in the general direction of your car" and 10 being "pointing your mechanic in the general direction of your car"), I'd give it a 6. Actually removing the engine is harder....
(IF the 944 block isn't that much different from any other EFI engine...)
Just a 6 .......... holy crap. Wait till you do a couple of 944s and see how it ranks.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

ok ok.... so.... how much would it cost to buy a turbo motor? where could I find a used one? how hard would it be to put in the car? is it the same tranny? blah....
Old 08-25-2004, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EricMcIntire
whats this about a harness? I've been looking aroudn and everyone stresses about what to do with the harness before pulling the engine. also do I have to unbolt the tranny? I hear I should just pull it out with the engine... ALSO.. (sorry) can I lift it out of the car I've been hearing that your supposed to drop it out the bottom? I dont know if I have the tools to do that.. sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your help.. one more thing... someone wants to sell me rods from their 951... will these work? are they stronger because they are for the turbo motor?
Where to start..........

From reading your posts the head has been pulled.....

- tbe engine harness runs into the inside through the passengers side. It connects to the dme at the foot rest... go look. With the head removed it will be easy to pull the harness out.
- Yes you can use the 951 rods. But do you really want to go the rebuild route.
- To remove the engine you have to drop the tranny. Pull the torque tube back.
- You can either chain the engine and pull it (you only have one engine lift point left since the one on the camshaft housing has been removed)........ or you can drop it. If you can raise the front off the car to at least 24 inches then you can drop..... actually you may get away with 18 since the head and intake have been removed.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

so is it the general concenseus that buying a used engine would be the better idea? are there any 944 motors that offer more HP? how much ? jeez this is all so complicated haha.. its no chevy 350
Old 08-25-2004, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
ok ok.... so.... how much would it cost to buy a turbo motor? where could I find a used one? how hard would it be to put in the car? is it the same tranny? blah....
I thought this was a 944 non turbo?

Do I hear turbo conversion????

Uhmmm if you have a complete turbo donor car it may be worthwhile.......... otherwise not worth the effort. THe bare minimum you would need from the donor turbo is the engine complete, dme and tranny. Well you could use the NA tranny..... but you would be replacing it fairly quick.

I normally don't condone the swaps since turbos can be had fairly cheap and the work and $$$ in making a conversion work may not be worth it. The 86's is a good candidate since you have a few pieces that will make a full conversion easier...ex. 951 control arms that make swapping in turbo calipers and disc nice and easy

.......... but after all this rambling.......... uhmmm dont do it.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

hahaaa alright I'll just try to find an N/A motor... I think I'd rather get the mileage anyways... so where do I find one ? Im in MA and I found a few other members in my area but no one has gotten back to me yet.. how much can I get for selling all the parts off the motor that is already torn up?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

You should check the car our completely before you decide....

If you just want to get on the road........ find a short block, slap it in and drive the crap out of it........... you will falll in love with it and want more power............and then you can move on to another. Then you will want BOOOST.

These engines easily will hit +200K miles without batting an eye. But you have to perform the scheduled maintenance otherwise they will BITE YOU and HARD.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
hahaaa alright I'll just try to find an N/A motor... I think I'd rather get the mileage anyways... so where do I find one ? Im in MA and I found a few other members in my area but no one has gotten back to me yet.. how much can I get for selling all the parts off the motor that is already torn up?
Post on the Pelican classifieds to start.......... Guys on this board are constantly totalling their cars....... so it pays to be sitting around lurking like a vulture.

I would keep the parts you have for now....... Once you get the replacement sell the left overs.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: