Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
squeaky clutch pedal

My clutch pedal is making an annoying squeak whenever i push in the clutch.

When I got down into the wheel well (upside down) and checked out the assembly, it looked like the rod that connects to the pedal is rattling around a little bit under the rubber boot, just before it leads into the firewall. Here is a pic:

It also looks like where this small rod meets the pedal rod might be loose,

but the sound really seems to be coming from the area seen in the above pic

Now, if the rod in the top pic is loose, it looks like i need to jack up the front end and get underneath. Any thoughts?
Black 2007 Porsche Cayman S (snappy nickname coming soon): Daily Driver (at least until winter!). Garnet Red 1986 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"/"Suicide Machine"):SOLD. Dark Silver 2009 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"):SOLD. Alpine White 1983 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf") :SOLD. Guards Red 1984 Porsche 944 :One-time parts car, SOLD.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a similiar problem, mine clicks when you push it in, I don't know if it always did it, I just noticed it today. Any ideas?

edit: not to hijack your thread or anything... just thought it would be better than starting another one with an extremely similiar topic.

Last edited by Clowd; 08-25-2004 at 07:50 PM..
Old 08-25-2004, 07:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Parrothead member

It looks like the push rod need to be adjusted out a little bit, or the bushing wear it clips on the pedal is worn out.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
hmmm there is a washer (or two) where the rod connects to the pedal, but they are free-moving right now (no resistance). Is this how they should be?

And how would I adjust the push rod?
Black 2007 Porsche Cayman S (snappy nickname coming soon): Daily Driver (at least until winter!). Garnet Red 1986 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"/"Suicide Machine"):SOLD. Dark Silver 2009 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"):SOLD. Alpine White 1983 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf") :SOLD. Guards Red 1984 Porsche 944 :One-time parts car, SOLD.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Parrothead member

there is a plastic bushing in the end of the pushrod where it slips on the pedal check that. I adjust the push rod so you have about an 1/8' play before you feel any resistance from the clutch master cylinder just loosen the locknut on the push rod and turn it. ( like a turnbuckle).
Old 08-26-2004, 05:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jakemu24
Mine also squeeks for the first 1.5 in. then it stops. I was thinking the connecting rod just needed some oil?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

^ Yes that is what mine is like, except it's more of a clicking sound than a squeak...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i also have the same 'click' sound only when depressing the clutch quickly. when i depress slowly it doesn't click. the problem is that it takes so much force to depress the clutch it's not really possible to do it by hand when you're stuck under the footwell trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.

anyway, i thought this diagram would be of some help;
Old 08-26-2004, 08:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mine also feels rough until the I feel the resistance of the clutch spring.
I'll be waiting anxiously until somebody posts a SOLUTION to the problem.
I was even wondering if this could be due to partially worn out master cylinder?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Parrothead member

#15 on the diagram is the bushing I was talking about.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
okay... this bushing is a bit loose on my pedal assemby now, using the numbers on the diagram above, how do i tighten it?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'm reading this thread, and see:
the avatar of VINMAN beating the crap out of somebody, with text underneath: "SENIOR member".
Than I see "The squeak is in your ankle!" in the message by FR Wilk, which is labelled "ENGINEERING CONSULTANT".

Nice "seniorship" and a "consultant". What happend to this world?

Last edited by Stan944; 08-26-2004 at 12:11 PM..
Old 08-26-2004, 12:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
The squeak is in your ankle!
Ummm better stick with the electronic stuff, Wilkie

anyhow, I fixed it. I suppose I would consider it more of a "click" than a "squeak," although there was some squeaking going on

I loosened the nut that connects the screw to the pedal assembly. I assume this screw adjusts the pedal's height? Anyhow, I loosened the nut, and then turned the screw so that it extends further away from the pedal assembly (and thereby making the pedal travel shorter?). This tightened up the whole unit and eliminated the click/squeak sound.

Even though the boot is removed in the picture, you don't need to move the boot in order to do this.

To do this you will need to get upside down, with your head in the footwell. I would recommend reclining the driver's seat all the way before doing so.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i had to replace the spring (4a) and still don't know how i managed to squeeze my hands in there to do that work.

it's a super-tight location and requires some body contortions to get under there in the right position.

porsche yoga, anyone ?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
it is tight, but at least you don't have to pull out the jack and jack stands!
Old 08-26-2004, 06:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan944
I'm reading this thread, and see:
the avatar of VINMAN beating the crap out of somebody, with text underneath: "SENIOR member".
Than I see "The squeak is in your ankle!" in the message by FR Wilk, which is labelled "ENGINEERING CONSULTANT".

Nice "seniorship" and a "consultant". What happend to this world?
Thats how you become a senior member!
Old 08-27-2004, 05:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Old 08-27-2004, 05:15 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: