Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

help needed for piece of crap tachometer

after a bit of struggling, i managed to rescue the junk (i.e. VDO) tachometer out of our 1984 944. what i'm wondering is if there is a way to test the connection without using another tach?

in other words, i know i can hook the ground up to a multimeter, but what is the pin that sends the signal to the tach? i want to verify that it's just a bad ground, and not a typical piece of awesome VDO equipment which is causing the problem of the jumping tach needle.

i am going to reterminate the ground connector by using a newer crimp-soldered connection, and i'm cleaning the corrosion off the VDO junk gauge. any other suggestions before i put the odometer back in?

thanks!

obin
Old 08-26-2004, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well, Hello, Obin!

Send it to me and I'll test it for you, using our proprietary testing service!

gb
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 08-26-2004, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

i'm going to clean the terminals once more and see if that fixes it. hopefully it's just corrosion.

most people send garbage to a dump, VDO put theirs in cases, stucks numbers on them, and then sent it all to Porsche.

thanks for the offer, i'll let you know if cleaning the terminals fixed it.

obin
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

looks like the tach is dead. thanks anyways!

obin
Old 08-28-2004, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: