Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hesitation at Throttle Down..

I dont get what's happening with my car..recently..when i give it gas..it hesistates for a second, like something is choking it..then after about a second, it throws me back in my seat and takes off like it's supposed to..

Any idea as to what could be happening?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
could be a number of things

worn plugs
arcing/worn wires
clogged air piping
leaky injector
clogged injector
old fuel filter
worn fuel pump
loose throttle cable
clogged catalytic converter
malfunctioning DME or AFM
vaccum leak

have you replaced any of these parts recently?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-26-2004, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Bahaha..no..i havent..and i did think of 90% of those on the list there..damn..i dont think i like this car anymore..i cant wait for my m3.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
it's probably a really simple problem... if things like this made me hate my car, I would have sold her a long time ago.

I would vote for plugs/rotors/wires... when was the last time you did a tune-up? After that, I would acertain the condition of the fuel filter, pump, and injectors. Try running some Chevron Techron just for ha-has.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-26-2004, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Plugs i changed about 2 months ago..wires..i dont remember..not rotor..

As for fuel pump equipment..i dunno, i gotta check it out..
Old 08-26-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
pull off the wires and see what condition the distributor contacts are in. Then pull off the distributor and see what condition the rotor is in.

Run the engine in the dark. Do you see arcing in the engine bay?

Check to see what condition the air filter is in.

Run a bottle of Chevron Techron.

Is your fuel pump making any funny buzzing or humming noises?

CHeck to see if an injector is leaking.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Same thing is happening with mine. I've replaced plugs, wires, rotor, air filter, and fuel filter. hmmmm .

edit

I posted this same question before.

Previous post

Last edited by zehnd; 08-26-2004 at 08:24 PM..
Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

^No man, that's not the same problem..

My car pulls nicely at around 1/2 throttle..but when i give like 3/4 or wide open throttle, it chokes..like it's flooding too much fuel in..it just doesnt feel right..something's off..

I havent had time to check these things yet, but it just isnt running the same as it did before..

It also seems to happen more frequently and more dramatically when the car is still cold..

But when the engine warms up a bit..it seems to go a bit freely then..

Any ideas guys?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
try unplugging the O2 sensor and driving the car. If it runs better, you found the culprit. If not, keep looking...

It also sounds like your TPS might be malfuncioning. Test that...
Old 09-04-2004, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like the dreaded 'Stumble' Wilks has a fix for it with his chip set.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
he does? are you thinking of the "drop and shudder"?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MikeCT
Start with changing your fuel filter and go from there. Remember cheap and easy first.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. - W. C. Fields
Old 09-05-2004, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
yeah i would say do a full tune up and replace all of the components that are replaced on a somwhat regular basis

fuel filter
air filter
oil filter
plugs
cap
rotor
maybe wires

might as well use an ohmeter to test the Throttle Position Switch. That doesn't cost anything at all.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: