Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil leak HELP!!

Im getting an oil leak below where the engine block studs stick out on the drivers side. The is collecting around the balance shaft housing in a large puddle around the 1st cylinder. The puddle is below the sendor in the pic. Is it possible for it to be coming out of the headgasket...because its right aorund that area?? Where else could it be leaking out of?

also...

The bottom left hand opening below the 1st cylinder, where the sendor is....does oil flow through there. Also, what kind of sendor is that?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. i tried getting some help on rennlist, but those bastards are too busy bashing on camaros right now...
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 08-26-2004, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You have either a cam tower leak, or your upper balance shaft housing is leaking. (more inclined to believe cam tower)

Oil does not flow through that passage, coolant does. That sensor is what drives your temp gauge. The one just to the right of that is the DME temp sender.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-26-2004, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
My cam tower is clean as a whistle...Im convinced its my upper balance shaft.

One question now...can you remove the housing without removing the shaft itself. In other words, do i have to open up the dreaded plastic covers or not?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You don't need to remove the balance shaft housing.

Dreaded black covers must go though.

You will need to remove the balance belt then the upper balance shaft sprocket....really not that hard to do...

Pull the seal out and replace it with new....about $6.....

Be very careful when putting in the new seal. Oil the mating surfaces and press in straight. Errors will cause a leak and you will be doing it all over again.........
Old 08-27-2004, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The thing is....i think i have a leak between the engine block and the balance shaft cover. Where its loctite'd metal to metal.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OOoooohh

Yeh. The covers still have to go.

The reason that I say check the balance shaft seal is because the oil from them can work its way along the engine and show up in the strangest places.

A possible easy solution might be to torque to balance shaft housing bolts to spec. Unlikely but a few could be loose......worth a try.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: