Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation Steering

My steering got tighter, so I got under the car and I noticed that all the hoses seemed fine,there were no leaks and the steering belt was in place, so I assumed the power steering pump must have been acting up.

Two days later, I was driving down the road and the temperature went through the roof. I popped the hood and noticed that the p/s pump had "shifted forward" and was rubbing against the lower radiator hose and that caused the coolant to leak.

I towed the car to a garage and put it on the ramp. The "pulley" (forgive me, I dont know the technical term for it) had moved forward from the "main body" of the pump. There's a gap of about 4cms between the pulley and the body, & that caused it to rub against the hose.

I have to replace the radiator hose, but can I salvage the p/s pump? The mechanic told me that he can rectify the pump by using washers or something, which doesnt make any sense. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Last edited by bull4u2me; 08-27-2004 at 12:10 PM..
Old 08-26-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

its not the hose that im worried about, its the p/s pump. That thing costs 240$ (core 175$).

Is it possible to repair the p/s pump? will it go back to normal if I just tap the pulley system back inside the body?
Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Just how often have you tapped something like the main shaft of a p/s pump back into place and it was good to go?

I haven't been there myself, but sounds like your P/S pump is toast.

There are enough people around here parting out 944s that you should be able to get a used one for much less than $240, for cryin' out loud.
LSD
2002 Yamaha FZ1
Old 08-27-2004, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

guess I was trying to be over optimistic.
the last problem I had (whacked out speedo/odo that clocked only at standstill) disappeared on its own.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Guess what? Just when you think things cant get worse, **** hits the ceiling fan.

I just got off the phone with my mechanic, who spent the better part of the day figuring out what went wrong and ordering hoses.

I have no technical training, and neither am I very "automobile proficient", but this is what I understood. He said that the steering mount/engine bracket (i dont remember which one) is twisted/broken and the whole assembly has moved in front by an inch or two.

Thats what pushed the p/s pump forward to rub against the hose, and thats whats causing the tight steering. Ill be looking at the car tomorrow (saturday) to see it for myself and to get the actual technical details (so I hope I dont get flamed for not using the right term or something)

In the meantime can anyone tell me what could have possibly gone wrong, does it happen or is it just me?

Thanks in advance... really need some kind of input. I dont want to be taken for a ride by this mechanic, not like the last one I went to.

Last edited by bull4u2me; 08-27-2004 at 12:12 PM..
Old 08-27-2004, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The steering mount/engine bracket thingy is also the lower balance shaft front bearing and its rather heavy duty. If its messed up so is the balance shaft. If anything maybe the bushing have worn out allowing the pump to slide forward. Any case look at what the mechanic is saying and go visit someone else for a second opinion.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 08-28-2004, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I saw the car and spoke with the mech about the problem.

The bracket thingy that holds the steering pump in place has broken off, and the p/s pump moved forward around 2-3 inches coz of the belt tension. The connecting rod thingy to the A/c compressor has also broken, and the A/c belt is kinda loose now.

Right now he has removed the steering belt and pulled the pump back in place using tie-tags, and replaced the busted hose.

I need a new P/s pump bracket (I have no idea what its called, can anyone please tell me whats the actual name) and the connecting rod thingy to the A/c Compressor.

Anyone selling these items?

Last edited by bull4u2me; 08-28-2004 at 01:12 PM..
Old 08-28-2004, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: