Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Wheel Bearing Replacement

Hi,

My rear wheel bearings are gone (I think, noise/bearing play).
I am hoping to replace them myself. As I haven't done this before I was hoping that someone could give me any advice.

Is it an easy task?
Any problems I should be aware of?
Perhaps a step by step procedure if poss?

Any information would be gratefully appreciated
Many Thanks
Misty
Old 08-27-2004, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

check out clark's garage

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't think Clark covers early 924 models, but I might be wrong on that. The wheel bearing job isn't hard to DIY. There are manuals around detailing the procedure. I just finished doing all the bearings on my 82 931 and the only things to look out for in the rear is the order of assembly and to use new seals. There is a spacer that must be in correctly and a chamfer on the race that has to face the correct direction. You could also find further info on 924.org

HTH
Old 08-27-2004, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is the 83 924 different from the 83 944's suspension?

I did my 83 944's rear bearings and I wouldn't say it is exactly hard....very involved but not that difficult.

Very, very, very messy.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The later 924's are the same as the early 944's. The 924 was sold in Europe until the middle 85's.

And yes they are messy!

Replace any of the spacers that show wear from the seals. Make sure you get them back on in the same orientation they came off. If you find a loose retaining nut check the splines on the shaft and the hub carefully. Also check the stub axle where the outer bearing rides. This area gets hammerd by the bearing and can be ten thou undersize. If it is you need to replace the stub axles with new or you will be replacing the outer bearing every 5,000 miles.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Oh yeh,

The circlip holding the backside bearings in is a real B#%^#ch! Easy to get at but strong as hell...Bent my measily little circlip plyers.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Cheers all for you help. Have done it ok, wasn't too hard.
Regards
Old 08-30-2004, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Make sure the large nut is properly torqued. 350 foot pounds.

Check the CV joint bolts in a week or so.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

After much research I torqued the nut to my wrenches max. ( I think 240, then stood on the breaker bar for one more quarter turn)

Not that I am really recommending this but I was told by many sources that the nut cannot be overtightened.

****Socal and others**** did we ever finally figure out what the torque on the earlies is (320?) and is it the same on the 924??
Old 08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
1/2" impact till tight. Use hand to back off socket as it hits the nut and tigthen to the next cotter key alignment. About as tight as tight can be. I've yet to see a rear axle strip. This goes back to the later 60's.

All of the spacers and outer roller bearing inner race tighten against the inner ball bearing's inner race. So that clip in the back is very important.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

SoCal Driver-

I've been searching and reading your previous posts regarding the stub axles/rear wheel bearings. I've replaced both the bearings and spacer rings but I still have play in the wheel, so I'm guessing the stub axle is worn like you said.

Did you ever try the plasma deposit/regrinding idea? I'd like to do that if possible- do I need to tell the place that does it a spec or do they know or have books to look it up in?

Thanks!

BTW, '83 944 N/A. The initial problem was a grinding noise while cornering.

Last edited by taspargo; 09-22-2004 at 09:23 PM..
Old 09-22-2004, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: