Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

S2 or 951...Which is better or more reliable?

I cannot find an S2 worth buying and I'm thinking about expanding my search to a '87 or '88 951 (I want ABS). It would be around town third car, maybe drivers ed in a few years.

Which do you people prefer between and S2 and a turbo?

Is one more reliable?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had a 968, which is a significant upgrade from an S2, and I like my '87 951 quite a bit better than the 968.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Blackfoot,

What is it about the 951 you like better?

DM
Old 08-29-2004, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The better way to look at it is what condition is the exact car in question in? Your question doesn't specify if the S2 is a dog bed and the 951 great or the other way around. There are lots of variables on old cars.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Who cares about this "spontaneous turbo fire"...i mean honestly..

The KKKs in the 951 are garbage..and should be replaced with some ball baring Lindey Racing turbos..

More power + better technology.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Personal opinion? The S2 is better, close in performance to an unmodified turbo, similar in appearance and features to the 951 without the maintenance headaches and it has better around-town drivability. It lacks the upgrade path of the 951 and will be harder to find. It might be worth stretching to a 968.

Emanuel
Old 08-29-2004, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ICD
Blackfoot,

What is it about the 951 you like better?

DM
BOOST
Old 08-29-2004, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by Zlatko
Who cares about this "spontaneous turbo fire"...i mean honestly..

The KKKs in the 951 are garbage..and should be replaced with some ball baring Lindey Racing turbos..

More power + better technology.

BUHAHAHAHA.............. you fell for that one.... another victim of FRwilk.

By the way I never knew LIndsey was a turbo manufacturerer like KKK............

...and to answer the question at hand....... the S2 is a much nicer everyday driver and can be put through the paces with no problem......... but boy that turbo puts a smile on your face like no other.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-29-2004, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

For about 3 years or so i've been the owner of a '88 951 and i pretty much love it. Bang for the buck wise it doesn't get much better. It's easy tuned up to higher performance, but...

Looking back on the 3 years, i think the S2 would have been the better option. The engine is a lot more user-friendly, and a lot easier to drive fast with, also the maintainance on the s2 is a bit easier (a LOT easier when ripping the thing apart), it has a better noise (more compression) etc. After a year or so i became 'used' to the power boost that the turbo delivers, i still enjoy it, specially the enormous rush in 3rd @4000rpm is just so amazing. The acceleration at 100km/h is just stunning and you can keep up with just about everything. But the thing is, if you like to go around bends fast and safe the S2 is just better. No nasty power kicks or lag, just raw power from the start.

To sum up: buy the S2 if you want a more all-round daily driver that isn't really tuneable, buy the S2 if you want to have proper fun on bendy tracks. Take the turbo if you want that enourmous power rush it is guaranteed to bring you. Oh, and if you keep it out of the turbo range it's nice to cruise in as well, you just have to click back a gear to get the rush (which is an excellent feel, just shift back to 3rd and WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO)
Old 08-29-2004, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I have owned both.

The S2 is a much better daily driver.

-Much friendlier gearing.
-No turbo lag
-Low-end torque
-Easier maintenance
-Cheaper to insure

The biggest advantage of the turbo is the ease of modifications. A stock turbo has no advantage over an S2.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yep, totally agree. Only slight difference is the boost kick, IF you like it. I'm not sure about availability, but over here it seems standard 944's and 944S are pretty common, a 951 is a bit harder to get but an S2 is almost not available on the market.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If a naturally aspirated engine can produce almost the same results as a turbo why bother going with a 951?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

As has been said before, the turbo is easily upgraded to anything around 250hp, but 300hp+ is not to hard to reach but at that point it's getting really expensive (driveshafts, tranny and all kinds of stuff you'd rather stay away from). Also the torque that is delivered by the turbo pressure results in that enourmous WOOOOHOOOO feeling that you just don't get at such a rate as in the S2.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
The S2 is less prone to "spontaneous 951 combustion" which is more commonly known as "my f*cking Turbo's on fire ....... again" syndrome.
So true, oh so true.

"****, my injector blew off!"
"Just raise the boost..."
996 GT3 4 Liter - Basalt Black - gone
Old 08-29-2004, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: