Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hey Makenzie, I need your help

Mak-

You're about the freest thinker on this board as far as building crap to go on a Porsche. I am looking for some help (or at least ideas) for a small project. I want to build a bracket for my radar detector in my car. I want it to screw into where the sunvisor clips go and then go in front of the dome light. I can velcro (or even super-glue) the radar detector upside-down to it. (yes, the readout can be flipped so I don't have to stand on my head to read "Ka6******". I want the detector high and out of my way. I also think that it will be less noticable to would-be theives and the police.

I have no experience in any type of metal work, so I don't know how to begin building it. Any suggestions???

Really, anyone can pitch in. We all know that Makenzie is always working on some hair-brained, crazy-ass, funky piece-of-metal to stick on his grasshopper.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Do you have a digicam? Kinna hold the detector up where you want to be and take a pic...

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not the greatest picture in the world, but here you go. I want it to be just above the rearview mirror.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
wouldnt the mirror be blocking the detector line of sight in the front?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There is room between the mirror mount and the headliner for the detector to get a clean view out the front of the car. On the top of the detector (on the bottom in the picture) there is another hump. This is to detect radar from behind the vehicle. I want it to have a clear path as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

livestrong

oil change done at 270k
timing belt done at 240k
Old 08-30-2004, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So you bacicly want a metal bracket affixed to some point in that area that will suspend the detector between the dome light and the rearview?

Old 08-30-2004, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bingo!

I was thinking suspending it using the sunvisor brackets. As fas as the front, I was thinking of angling the bracket so it is wedged securely between the winshield and headliner. Between the screws of the sunvisor brackets holding down two points and the bracket being wedged into the groove in front, the three points should safely secure the detector (I think).
Old 08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

does it have threaded mounts on the sides?

Old 08-30-2004, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you're asking about the radar detector, the answer is no. It currently attaches with a special clip in the top. I just figured that I would velcro the detector to the mounting bracket.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Oh...well, I can make a plate that attaches to the sunvisor clips, but I don't know how sturdy it would be...it'd probably woble a bit. ButI can do it...

Old 08-30-2004, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hmmm.... Is this something that a clueless person with no experience could tackle?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Two words Vel Cro. Thats how I put mine up. Get the heavy duty kind and ot will stay up through anything.
87 944 na
66 Skylark ( in parts )
750 Honda Chopper (8 ' Looong)
800 Vulcan
02 Grand Prix GTP ( Wifes Car) also Fast as Hell
Old 09-02-2004, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: