Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

the usual cart before the horse

I still have yet to get my trany transplant finished but my next two projects on the list are keeping me from sleeping.
1. Waterpump.....
2. radio

The first one has me wondering about transplanting an 1987 2.5l into the car for one simple reason the automatic tentioner from the timing belt. The balance shaft belt lost one side of its "teeth" and so i did a belt change(both) and everything seemed to be fine, the car runs but im slightly concered about if i got it all right. SO am i over reacting, should i just switch out the water pump and have the local dealer put the belts on? or should i think about trying to figure out if an 87 motor whill bolt-wire directly in.

The second one is the need of what the factory wiring looks like in the dash and hook ups to the back of the radio, the PO did an extreme hack job with his previous instal. And id also like to know who the original manufacturer of the factory radio was, it had sony speakers but those are gone now

Thanks for any help anyone can give im actually losing sleep over this timing belt issue....i have visions of fine motoring followed quickly by the sound of a piston hitting a valve
Old 08-29-2004, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can't speak to the t-belt issue, but the radio I'm more comfortable with. The easiest and most reliable way to figure out hacked up radio wiring is a voltmeter. Crutchfield sells a wiring harness for the LATE models but this might not help depending on how "hacked" it is. Just check each wire in one of two states, ignition on and ignition off (i don't know if you have to pull the key out to turn it off completely like in earlies) and use the process of elimination to match up the wires. The original manufacturer was blaupunkt, but they're not necessarily the best anymore. You can search the forum for "blaupunkt" and see what people have said about them. Best bet is to ask people who know and to trust your wallet. After all, this is a CAR stereo and without serious work (subs, soundproofing) you won't get better than average sound, so it might not be worth it.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
let me find my note book and ill tell what each color wire is... *starts digging through boxes*

wow, i found it faster than i thought i would. her we go!:

big ass round one with pointy end - antenna (duh!)
red with blue stripe - Ignition
large brown - ground
brown with black stripe - right front ground
red with white stripe - battery
black - front right positive
brown whith white stripe - front left ground
white - front left positive

and the for the other 2 speakers the ink smeared fron a coke that exploded in a bag i had my folder in so im not sure but it should be easy to figure out from there.

and i would think itd be the same on my car as an early 944... (taking a guess seeing as some parts from early cars fit on my car)

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.

Last edited by scheistermeiste; 08-30-2004 at 12:35 PM..
Old 08-30-2004, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: