Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What kind of wheels are these???

And more importantly, are they worth restoring?

I know that this will qualify as the "Stupid Newbie Question of the Day", but I want to know. I think these were the wheels that came with the car originally. They are 15" wheels.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks you will all forget that I asked such a lame question
Old 08-30-2004, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Cookie cutters
Old 08-30-2004, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That's an OE cast alloy ATS wheel referred to as 'cookie cutter.' It was the standard wheel for early 944's and some earlier 911's IIRC. It's a strong, relatively light weight wheel and worth refinishing IMO.

The wheel needs only rim stripped and polished and center resprayed to improve it's appearance. An example:

08 Mercedes-Benz E 350 Sport
Old 08-30-2004, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That was my next question: How do I refinish it?

You said "rim stripped". I assume that means stripping the paint off the silver portion of the wheel. What did you use to strip it? What type of paint and painting techique did you use?

Thanks for all your info.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That rim doesnt look to bad actually. Youd be supoprsed what some polish can do.

Take some mothers aluminum polish to it FIRST (the outside part)...so you can see what youve got. You can get it at any auto parts store. rub it in with a clean cloth untill it turns black, then buff out. You can do it by hand, should take you about an hour per wheel or so.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The coating on these wheels is very tough but since the clear coat is breaking up it will not look good unless you strip it using any good paint stripper. Remove the clear coat from outer rim only, carefully avoiding contact with black center. After stripping, just use Mother's to shine 'em up.

The centers look pretty good so unless you want to change the color, just compound, polish and then wax the centers to bring them back. (the wheel in my previous post has only had the outer rim detailed, center is original paint). Recommend spraying the hubcaps and lugnuts a satin black.

If you decide to refinish the wheels, post some before/after pics.
08 Mercedes-Benz E 350 Sport
Old 08-30-2004, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bertman...I didnt know they had clear on them.

My fuchs didnt...

Learn something new every day!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It has clearcoat over most of the wheels (kinda like I have clearcoat over most of my paint!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I personally like cookies on 944's better than fuchs.

They are really very, very light.

They look best on white / black / silver cars though.

You should be very happy with them if you refinish. There is a great artical in the tech section on this.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Just so you know...using a paint stripper or something and "trying to avoid the center" isn't bright. The best way to get an even and uniform lip is to rotate the wheel and use various grades of sand paper on it. I usually mount the wheel on the drive axle and leave the car lifted and start it and put the car in gear. If you have LSD then you can lift the rear and do two at a time...if not you'll have to swap all the wheels around.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-30-2004, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: