Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil cooler won't remove from housing

I've done a bunch of looking through old posts, searching the web, and looking through clark's stuff.

I have a 1986 N/A 944. The engine is being rebuilt, and is in pieces at this time and we are doing our own work on the rebuild.

We are in the process of changing the seals in the oil cooler but we cannot remove the cooler from the housing. Is there a trick to this? it just doesn't fall out, or pull out. What needs to be done? What shouldn't be done?

Any help is great, thanks!

(may post a pic or two later)

-ew
Old 08-30-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If all the bolts are out and the pressure regulator is out, you just need to pull the housing straight off. Those o-rings can hold the radiator in there very well.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 08-30-2004, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Yup 4 bolts and yank.......... If you have the OPRV (oil pressure relief valve still in place it might be binding up a little....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 08-30-2004, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, we managed to get it off with a little elbow grease. The Clarks Garage install procedure (located here: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-01.htm ) speaks of a plastic washer that mounts between the oil cooler and the housing. However, the new gasket set bought does not seem to have it and it didn't fall out when we removed the cooler. What should I do?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by exitwound
Okay, we managed to get it off with a little elbow grease. The Clarks Garage install procedure (located here: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-01.htm ) speaks of a plastic washer that mounts between the oil cooler and the housing. However, the new gasket set bought does not seem to have it and it didn't fall out when we removed the cooler. What should I do?
That oil cooler arrangement was updated and you need to follow the procedure at Clarks. The part numbers that you will need are listed there. Back in the late 80's and Early 90's I updated a ton of 944's because of the Chocolate Milkshake in the Radiator Syndrome, so make sure you get the right parts and clearances in there.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, parts ordered. Thanks for all the help! $8 shipping for a $1.00 part seemed kind of ridiculous, so I ordered the Loctite I couldn't find locally.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: