Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
How far we've come!

My mentioning of how my 944 was a scrappy little guy when I bought it got me thinking...

When I bought the 944, it was scrappy at best. It had a couple of mechanical problems, a bad clutch, a badly bent spoiler, discolored and cracked stone guards, the obligatory cracked dash, ripped seats, a ripped shifter boot, shoddy-looking carpets, and badly-corroded cookie cutters. I got it for a steal, considering the mileage.

After awhile, I was involved in a minor accident, which allowed me to get a better (but not perfect) front spoiler.

I then replaced the clutch and decided to refinish those ugly wheels

AND hand-painted the center caps

VIOLA! All of a sudden I have some nice-looking wheels...

the story continues below...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-30-2004, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
next, i decided to replace the worn out, 1970s-style floor mats and get a new pair of OEM units. At the same time, I replaced the worn shifter boot.

I finally got rid of those ugly, cracked, and discolored stone guards. The new ones are practically invisible

most recently, I replaced the door speaker covers (well, the passenger cover, for the driver's side was very missing) with OEM bits courtesy of TCMdocs

so, far from being a scrappy-looking 944 now, my car has come a long way. I have had a few people tell me it is the "cleanest" early 944 they've ever seen

I'm so proud of her!
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lookin Sharp!

I can totally relate CJ...
Mine was really hurtin when I first got it...lots of fade and neglect.

Engine running sortof.....you know.

I have had many people say my car is where they want theirs to be.

****TO ALL YOU HATING YOUR CAR RIGHT NOW - - IT WILL get to the point were all that is left is final funny little details. Every $ spent at that point brings loads of pride and smiles.......the journey gets much easier.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Gent's keep this type of stuff coming...about 5 months ago I purchased an 88na for a song, knowing that I was going to take the path of long restoration hours, frustration, etc...it is coming along excellent and finally I am starting to see the results....more to come
MSD Ingnition System
Zimmerman XDrilled Frt/Rear
BB Headers & Cat Back Exhaust
Mass Flow Air w/ Ingen Technology
Nology Pro Fire Wires & Coil
Millie Cup Wheels and Kuma's
Old 08-30-2004, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I bought my car back in 2000, I knew the long list of problems but that color, I think its garnet red but the Porsche mechanic at the dealer called it maraschino(sp?) red, drew me to it, even though it is faded and buffed to primer on all the curves . I couldnít help myself, I drove it for one summer and then I parked it in the garage. I had the car of my dreams, well sort of. I had saved it from that uncovered and unloving home. I had intended to love it but instead I neglected it in a different way I let it sit. Then this month 4 yrs later, I started my tranny rebuild as a way to sell the car but after I got finished I had a thought: "I took this complicated thing apart and I fixed it and put it back together!!!" I had visions of Porsche mechanics turning wrenches in the pits on a 917s trans.......I was euphoric, that was the first time I had felt such accomplishment after working on a car. I was proud of my Porsche and for once of my abilities to fix it when other people might take it to a dealer. Thatís when I learned the valuable lesson with working on your project car, itís the little steps to what you envision the car to be, you cannot expect to wake up one morning and instantly obtain your vision, (unless you have $99k for a GT3 ) You have to work at it inch by inch, part by part, dollar by dollar. SO I'm glad that you are proud of your Porsche and the work that you have done to it, more people should take a step back and relize what they have accomplished.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pretty well said ender...

We could all use a little patience and enjoyment of the process, not the product.

With consistant persistant effort anything can be accomplished - (just don't leave out the fun part)
Old 08-31-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That's a lot of nice work! Hope to see more.

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snowboardgeek1
Hey, the white Porsche 944 squad...can I join

You guys have beautiful cars. As far as the cleanest Porsche 944, I will compete with anyone j/k

Porsche owners...gotta love em'.

Still haven't done anything to my Porsche other than my borla exhaust, and air filter upgrade, but I should be getting FR Wilks chip very soon. After that, I'm done...maybe

Again, great jobs on your cars.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The progress is kinda funny really.

You should have heard how *****y CJ used to be before all the stuff was done on his car!

Ok, I was a little testy too at times.

Hey Snow! - your not one of them concourse weenies are you? (heehee)
Old 08-31-2004, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

BTW - CJ's car makes me miss my Cookies! Cookies look mean.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
CJ, you can remove the "Unleaded Fuel Only" sticker any time now.
ROFL!!!!!

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snowboardgeek1
If I was a concourse weenie then I wouldn't be upgrading anything and leaving it stock.

Don't hate that my car looks better than yours...don't hate the playa, hate the game haha j/k

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
The progress is kinda funny really.

You should have heard how *****y CJ used to be before all the stuff was done on his car!

Ok, I was a little testy too at times.

Hey Snow! - your not one of them concourse weenies are you? (heehee)
Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboardgeek1

Don't hate that my car looks better than yours...don't hate the playa, hate the game haha j/k

Ok Snow......Show us the Money!

(btw-it could only look better than mine if it was white, we all know white is the only stock 944 color worth anything)
Old 08-31-2004, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
How about black? I even have a comparision...although my car looks more like the shadow
Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

very~worn~944:
looks like you car is lowered. how much did u lower it and did u just exchange springs?

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
To tell you the truth i have no idea how much I lowered it...lol. My car has always had Koni yellows all around, and I got another set of front yellow konis for free off my old shop (also a set of brand new torsion bars for the rear, but they are ~31mm with the hollow center and far to stiff for the street and therefor not in the car). The struts had weltmeister springs on em, so I swapped springs into my car. I honestly don't think they lowered my car anymore than it was before, which had me confused about what springs I had on there before(thought they were stock). The front wheel is just at fender level, so I used the eccentric to drop the rear as much as I could untill I get some 924 torsion bars and coilovers. The yellow konis are tightened up almost all the way with some fine tuning for the right feel. The car does not bounce and feels rock solid, I like it stiff . It also has monstrous swaybars under there, but thats a different story.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Quote:
CJ, you can remove the "Unleaded Fuel Only" sticker any time now.
BUT what happens if i get to a gas station and can't remember what kind of petrol to put in?!?!?!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
I could accidentially put in Diesel. Theoretically.

Oh, I should also add that my 944 will also soon have the PowerProm2. Should be in the mail now... ain't that right, Wilkie?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I'll Join in on this
Here is my car the day I bought it in August 2001. Torn sunroof seal, missing bumper pad, broken fog light etc.

Now here it is in August 2002 after new paint, clutch and belts and whatever else.

Now here is my car 2004 after going from N/A to Turbo and back to N/A again along with some new wheels and sway bars etc.

The next mod will be a transaxle without a broken R&P

1994 Grand Cherokee
6inch Lift, 33" TSL'S

Last edited by Crippler; 08-31-2004 at 06:32 PM..
Old 08-31-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Cortney, PowerProm2?

Diesel is fine as long as it is unleaded Diesel.

You do not buy Petrol at a gas station. You buy Petrol at a Benzine Parlor.
Isn't the PowerProm2 for late 944's and PowerProm for early one's?

Petrol? Don't tell me you say get in queue when you arrive at the DMV?!?

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: