Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

some pics of Fiberwerks nose/bumper and new paint job

My car is now all painted. There were some delays cause a large bug fell on the hood as it was drying so they had to repaint the hood. The right front fender required repainting also as a mark was made while paint was still wet. The car is still at the garage waiting for the driver's side mirror gasket (hurry up Pelican!) and a new catalytic converter. The car is still very dirty and dusty. The paint job is gleaming when clean.
Here are the pics:

I did the rear light treatment myself. IMO, taillights look better w/o the amber. I plan on leaving the rearend badgeless.

Nothing is wrong with the hood. It's just popped up. I got a new silver Porsche shield to install once I get it back. As you can see, I got clear turn signal lenses but they are not a perfect fit. They stick out on top. Turns out that the clear turn signal lenses are euro spec. I was gonna match the turn signal lenses with clear sidemarkers but since the turn signals don't fit properly, I am gonna go with the stock amber setup. The sidemarker lights do stick out a bit. A flaw in design if you ask me but it is tolerable. I plan on filling the large openings on the fiberwerks nose with some black mesh.

For those of you who have Evo I Fiberwerks nose, you will notice that the Evo II nose has a deeper lower edge and protrudes into the wheel well more. I think it does look better and the aerodynamics are supposed to be improved (according to Fiberwerks) but I am having a little difficulty with wheel clearance. As you can see, my tire is dangerously close to the new nose and does rub when turning sharply. I am gonna Dremel some of the edge off hopefully solving the problem.

All in all, I am very happy with the new look of my car. Though I love the lines of the 944, I was never satisfied with US spec NA bumpers. It always seemed like it was an afterthought. (And if you look at the Euro spec NA bumper and the Turbo bumper, I think you would agree!) I personally love the look of my new front and rear end. I'm surely gonna enjoy washing it for the first time once I get it back! I will post before and after pics when the car is finally fully completed.

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles

Last edited by dj_yen; 08-31-2004 at 10:58 AM..
Old 08-31-2004, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i'll let you guys decide what the most appropriate caption(s) are.

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Another look at how close the new nose is to the front wheels.

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
so thats what frwilk and ronin look like together!

j/k... and i have sheets like that

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

James, looks very nice!

One suggestion, though. Now that you have fiberglass bumpers, don't park it on a street, especially in NY! There are a lot of morons that like to parallel park with the bump and feel method. Wouldn't like to see your new exterior messed up.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Great wheels too. I only need one more centercap myself...got three off of ebay for $9.....gonna have to bite the bullit on the other though.

I really like the bumper. Do you really think it will rub? Hate to see you grind it for nothing.

So the lenses didn't fit huh? I wonder if they are for the earlies? Can't grind the edge?. If not and you want to get rid of them let me know.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
I personally don't like the rear...looks unfinnished. For the money you could have bought an exhaust or intake or something but everyone's prioraties are different.

The front looks "decent" but the lights all look like "afterthoughts". I understand the point of being able to use your stock lights but they look like they were last-minute additions to the bumper...like they designed the bumper then thought they should add the stock lights after they found a design they liked. It also looks very cheaply produced and like the fitment is off slightly.

All in all, it looks good. It looks a lot better than stock. But I think Fiberwerks needs to really work on their fit-and-finnish.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-31-2004, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
...also...just as a thought that just hit me...why do you cover the license plate? I don't get that. I mean, if it were a credit card number, yeah...but I don't see why you'd worry about the people over the internet and NOT the people who drive behind you on your way to work...

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 08-31-2004, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
...why do you cover the license plate?...

I too have seen this many times on the net...

Dont' really understand it myself..is there more of a reason for it oversea's?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I like the bumpers, the 'stubbed' look does take a little getting used to though.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Looks very nice man..and it doesnt look like a car from the 80s ..hehehe
Old 08-31-2004, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Looks good. I like those wheels on your car....

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 08-31-2004, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by IceShark
James, looks very nice!

One suggestion, though. Now that you have fiberglass bumpers, don't park it on a street, especially in NY! There are a lot of morons that like to parallel park with the bump and feel method. Wouldn't like to see your new exterior messed up.
Yeah, I am gonna have to be very careful. I knew I was taking a risk prior to the purchase. I also plan on moving out of the city into much less crowded areas in less than a year.

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't been super impressed with the fit and finish but not everyone makes fiberglass pieces like Veilside.
I cover the license plates just in case.... I realize that my car will be more likely jacked by a local than someone on the internet but if I can make it that much harder for people on the internet to locate my car, I will.

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
oh baby, yes! im so jealous!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944

So the lenses didn't fit huh? I wonder if they are for the earlies? Can't grind the edge?. If not and you want to get rid of them let me know.
It still wouldn't be possible. It is really rather a diff shape.
This is the stock shape.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/nori_images7/Lens_477953161A.JPG
An the aftermarket clear lens.
http://www.turnclear.com/img/nabig.jpg
I dunno if it will fit an early car. I doubt as we use the same stock amber turn signal lens. As I said before, they fit, Euro spec NA cars.
Unless you are willing to pay full price, I plan on returning them back to *****************.com for a full refund.
Personally I am a little angry that this distinction isn't made on their site.

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snowboardgeek1
I personally like the look of your car bro. The only thing I didn't like about the stock 944's, are the bumpers. I hate the look of the bumpers on my 944, but oh well, not every car is perfect.

Your car will definitely look a lot better with a car wash, and some cleaning on your rims and tires

With the rear tailights, did you paint them candy apple red?

Too bad the clear corners didn't work out. If it would have fit better, I would have bought some as well.

-E
Old 08-31-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboardgeek1
I personally like the look of your car bro. The only thing I didn't like about the stock 944's, are the bumpers. I hate the look of the bumpers on my 944, but oh well, not every car is perfect.

Your car will definitely look a lot better with a car wash, and some cleaning on your rims and tires

With the rear tailights, did you paint them candy apple red?

Too bad the clear corners didn't work out. If it would have fit better, I would have bought some as well.

-E
I used Testor's Transparent Candy Apple Red. Taped up the assembly, put on about 3 coats and 2 more coats of clearcoat. When I first finished them, the red looked too dark but on the car I think they look great!

70k miles
Old 08-31-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to snowboardgeek1
That's what I figured. We used that paint back in the early 90's when we painted our rear turn signals to match up the other lenses. hehehe ol' skoo'
Old 08-31-2004, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Yeh,

there site makes no mention of the lenses only fitting Euro....They probably didn't even know themselves (so I would like to think)

Snow - if you don't like the front one you should do the 'snub' nose look by collapsing the shocks, pushing the bumper back, removing the black guards and filling the holes. A very nice mod with little to no cost and looks really good on some cars.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: