Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
F**ked Fuch's -> Refurb

Well after my previous post a while back on whether or not I should polish my Fuchs (was concerned as one was badly kerbed)..........I bit the bullet and attacked the worst one tonight with paint-stripper.

Pic 1 - Starting 7jx16 Fuch doesn't look too bad but the PO's refurb was pretty poor on the rim the silver paint had orange peeled badly.

Pic 2 - Close up shows worst damage 2mm deep kerb and blistering of paint.

Pic 3 - Masked rim and first coat of paint stripper.

Pic 4 - Paint bubbled a lot around kerbing, after a bit of a scrape turns out the paint is very deep and the whole rim is kerb free - it was only the paint that was damaged by the kerbing - Yay!

Pic 5 - Paint rubbed off.

Pic 6 - Paint rubbed off close-up.

As far as I can see this is the bare metal in the last pic is that correct - I know some Porsche wheels were Clearcoted on the rims (or even anodised?). The rim isn't perfectly smooth after stripping very shallow pitting in a few places hopefully this will polish out?! Read all the polishing theards a lot but not sure which grit to use on bare metal to remove pitting without scratching to deep? (I plan to polish the whole wheel and if keep it that way if it looks good if not respray the centre the original Satin black)
Old 08-31-2004, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
for anyone who may answer you questions...

how deep of pitting can you remove from a rim?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Are you sure it is pitting or just more paint?

I would think if it was pitting you could remove fairly deep spots as long as it is relatively a uniform metal removal - ie. sanding while the whole wheel turns.

didn't arnworx.com do that on his site?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm going to make up a jig to help with sanding/polishing anyway. As a few people I know have said I don't actuallt think its pittingits not deep enought - pitting even 1 or 2mm deep would be very hard to remove evenly these are just slight indentations fractions of a mm deep hopefully will polish out.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

strath44,

Good start! I can't tell for sure from the pics, but pic 6 appears to show additional paint/coating yet to be removed. The coating on Fuchs wheels is very tough. It appears you've removed most of the paint the PO put on them and are just beginning to remove the factory coating. I used stripper to remove paint/clear and then EasyOff oven cleaner to remove the anodizing.

It takes time/patience/hardwork but the results will be worth it.
08 Mercedes-Benz E 350 Sport
Old 09-01-2004, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thats what I am thinkin bert....seems like he is just getting to the good stuff.

Though possible, I doubt the actual metal is pitted.

Strip on Strath, Strip on!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
jeesh this is heavy going...........started about 10.30am and by 4pm had got through the annodised layer and sanded down well enough to start polishing (as soon as I get a suitable felt buff and polishes). Couldn't resist giving a quick blip with a small buff on a dremel and some cutting compound and started to look quite good. Going to take ages to get them looking like bertman's!!!!!!!!!!!! (reckon thats 8hrs already) Ps not copying you bman honest even though mines gemini grey also!
Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
I hand-polished a pair of old Ansen Sprints (the classic 70's style slotted mags) for one of my "other" cars, NEVER AGAIN. They were nice to start with, but were still the factory machined finish - I wanted them polished to match a pair I already had. Must have taken me 6-7 hours each and you can still see some of the sanding scratches. Do not attempt without power tools! I started with 240 grit and worked my way up to 1000. Took 3-4 days for my fingertips to recover....

nate
Old 09-01-2004, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah powertools are a must, Im using a dremel which is very good for the corners and a electric sander with triangular pads. The bit I'm having trouble with is sanding back the area that slopes up to the spokes from the rim (about 2 inches wide). Its hard to angle any electric tools onto it.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: