Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need some insite on this porsche be for I buy.

A buddy of mine is going to Iraq and decided to sell his 1986 944 turbo. Im a mustang guy and I dont know squat about Porsches. Its a beautiful car with 911 rims. He has taken good care of this car but it has 225,000mi!! It runs good doesnt smoke trans feels good and suspension feels good. The interior looks good but has a few splits in the leather. Im kinda worried about the milage cause I would need this car to get back and fourh to work. I have no idea how long one of these motors will last? Being a porsche I guess that parts would be high to replace? Anyone know how much it is to have a motor rebuild? Any info on things to look out for and how much it would cost to some maimtance(timming belt etc..) would be great. Hes asking $3000 but Im sure he would take 2500 cash! Would this be a good deal?
Thanks

Tyler
Old 09-01-2004, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes. If you don't buy it I will.

High cost of maintanance. Gotta be rich or mechanically inclined.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
As a daily driver if the maintenance is up to date you should be ok......

If it were me and I had a $2500 951 available........ I WOULD BuY IT ON THE SPOT. I need more projects....... The car in pieces is EASILY worth twice that amount..

You have a dilemna since you are looking for a daily driver and you are not familiar with these cars.

I can't imagine the car being in tip top shape for that price ????. Things you have to watch out for........

- belts/rollers and water pump (when were they done)
- brakes (If they are worn past the wear mark ...new rotors
- Rod Bearings (at this mileage THESE should be replaced)
- Clutch (if someone does it for you.....it could easily reach $2K)

Has this thing blown a head gasket in its lifetime? If its on its original headgasket ..........it is probably due to blow it. 20 years and 200+K miles and heat and boost........ not a good combo.

Rebuilding these engines will easily set you back a minimun of $1000 just in gaskets and seals!!!. Then add machining, other items to replace or fix (turbo, rollers, waterpumps etc....etc..etc..) $$$$$

So the answer to your question is YES ....I would buy it.......... the question is should you??........... Uhhhmmmm I guess I dont have an answer. Decisions....Decisions....

ANyways welcome to the board...
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah....for $2500 its a steal!!!!! Jump on it. (as long as you can maintain it, make sure you have an extra $1000 around after purchase)

Hell...Ill give you 3500 for it if you decide you dont want it after you get it.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Like I said the car is in good shape the only reason hes selling it cause hes going to Iraq and He dosnt have some where to store it while hes gone and wants someone he knows to take care of it and possibly beable to buy it back. He said it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a timming belt and water pump put on it just for some insurance if i plane on driving it alot. The clutch and brakes were replaced 2yrs ago and it all seems to work good. At the moment my pockets aren't very deep but I am very mechanicly inclined as I build race cars for a second job. Im sure i could tackle the maintance with a little knowledge. As for the turbo and wastgate around what milage would that need to be replaced and how much money?
Thanks Guys for the quick replys

Tyler
Old 09-01-2004, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
If its the original stock wastegate its probably on its last legs. Best way to tell is how well this car holds boost. You can shim the wastegate to lenghten its life expectancy..... I am assuming this car is stock??

The turbos are actually quite strong........but again the mileage dictates that the turbo seals may be on their way out. You will know by the puffs of blue smoke.....

The turbos are actually not that pricey to rebuild and you have a few options for upgrades. BUT it is THE BIGGEST PAIN in the ass to get at. Probably the worst job that could be done on a 951.

The belt change interval is normally 30-45K miles and the water pump should last 100K. The rollers can all checked at time of belt change. If you find that the rollers are shot then you may as well reseal the front end.

Good Luck!. and have fun.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-01-2004, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm assuming your friend is in the military and living in the barracks? If so the goverment is required to store his household goods while deployed including a car. If that the only reason he's selling it, he needs to talk to his commander and inform him of his responsibilities.
87 944S - Sold
77 924 - Sold
Old 09-02-2004, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
You will no longer be a mustang guy once you drive a porsche!

Buy it! If you're mechanically minded the maintenance can be surprisingly cheap for a performance vehicle! Sure the car is mechanically quirky, but once you find your way around I don't think it's worse than any other car - it's soooooo much better to drive though!!

Welcome to the board
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 09-02-2004, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

That's a great deal. If you can spin wrenches, there's no need to be afraid of these cars. Tend to the waterpump and rollers first. Then the rod bearings. Mileage is generally not an issue with these cars if they've been cared for because the alloy used in the block is good stuff. Drive it for a while and you'll ditch the rustangs.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

3000 is a steal and you would be stoopid not to get it at that price. Even if you are not sure you are ready for a Porsche, you can easily sell it and make a cool profit. I guess that would be disrespecting your friend but maybe you could split the profits.
Either way you should it get it. Put it this way, I spent more money on a paint job, new exterior trim and some simple repairs. I would have much rather used the money to buy a 951!!!!!

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles
Old 09-02-2004, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with the others... buy it! At this price it's a steal (it's priced far below market value). As someone else mentioned, this car is worth considerably more than this in parts alone.

-MAS
Old 09-02-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Are you also in the military ???
When I was in the NAVY there were " Auto Hobby Shops " on base with full lifts available and any tool known to man also a machine shop. All this for $1 an hour.

Also, once when I was deployed, I didn't have the money to put my car ( 79 Buick regal limited ) into long term storage at the Norfolk navy base, so I just parked it in the huge parking lot for the carriers, instead of the small lot near my ship. Well six months later, I come back and it's gone. They had resurfaced the lot and towed all vehicles. It still was cheaper than long term storage, but it was vandalized too.

If you buddy is getting deployed overseas for a duty station, he can have it shipped overseas with his belongings also...

Anyway, I think everyone is in agreement... for that kind of money, get it... and deal with any problems later. It's a bargain, and you will forget about mustangs...

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 09-02-2004, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
are you sure it's a 944 TURBO? For $3000? I'll give him $3500 if it's the real deal
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..buy it..
Old 09-02-2004, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: