Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
alternator air duct...

OK, can someone describe to a complete porsche noob exactly what the stuff for the alternator looks like? I just have a bare ass alternator. I bought the piece that bolts to the back of it but upon looking at my, um, copy of PET (am I allowed to say that here?) it looks like there is more ductwork involved. I've got nothing at all under the hood. Now, since I have the parts catalog, I can look up the part numbers that I apparently need but I have no vision of how this stuff hooks up or where the tube eventually ends up.

Do I need to say that previous owners sometimes frustrate me? I do know the guy that I bought the car from replaced the alternator but I don't know if he's to blame or if it was like that when he got it. I will be really frosted if he finally cleans out his basement and finds this stuff...

thanks,

nate
Old 09-01-2004, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
my 87 924S doesnt have the duct, and I havent had any problems in 6 years, screw the duct
Old 09-01-2004, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
well it prolly should make a difference. I noticed one. The gauge in the car used to just hang under 14 in stop and go traffic on a hot day. I was working under the hood one day and hit it by accident and broke it off. I figured **** it..it wont do anything. Now sitting in traffic the needle sits in the center, like around 13V. Once the car is moving on the hwy it moves up again. At night when its cool it sits up at 14, wether im beating on it or not. Shows that heat is the enemy of alternators. I forgot how many I replaced on a DSM...
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mine moves around in its readings as well. However it is not the temperature that does it. It is the wiring or gauge itself. As I drive mine to track events, I do not want a break down where I would have to have it fixed before I can drive it home. So I investigated to lessen my concern.

To convince myself that the different voltage readings I was getting were spurious, I measured the voltage at the battery and cigarette lighter when the gauge on the dash indicated a low reading (about 12v). The actual voltage in the system was 13.7 and changed only slightly when I turned on some electrical loads.

With mine it is a wiring, ground, or gauge problem. It is not temperature dependent. It is not worth my time to find the problem as my system is otherwise in good shape.

My car has not had the duct since I bought it, and I have put 60K on it since then. I think where you'd really miss it is in congested traffic with heavy electrical loads. With no fresh air and being near the turbo, you could damage it. So put your money on the table and place your bet.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 09-02-2004, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: