Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ornery Bastard

Repairing cruise control (cross posted on Rennlist too)

OK, the only niggling issue with my 944 is that the cruise control doesn't function. Now, I know. Most of you are probably thinking that it's not a big deal, who drives a 944 at a constant speed like that anyway. Well, normall I'd agree but I have to drive the car from Ohio to Seattle at some point and I would really like to have a functioning cruise control when I'm on those freeways out in Montana and the Dakotas.

How does one test the cruise control unit to see if the failure is there or in the switch in the steering column? I un-plugged the molex plug from the cruise control unit and applied dielectric grease to all the terminals hoping that it was merely a bad connection somehwere, but that didn't give me any improvement.

Right now, what happens is that if I push the cruise control lever forward, it will _sometimes_ cause the car to accelerate. However, it never sets the speed and the car never holds a speed. All it will do is accelerate for the duration of the time I'm pushing on the lever.

If it's the switch in the column, how much am I looking at? And if it's the control unit, how much am I looking at? Replacing either seems to be a pretty straightforward job.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 09-02-2004, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you read
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-04.htm

It seems to be pretty basic suggestions of just cleaning and resoldering everything that could have gotten gunked up over the years - i keep on meaning to get mine going again, but never seem to get time to get round to having a look at it.

Lowered, adjustable KONI shocks, APE chip, K&N panel filter, Strut tower brace, Blue Fuchs (+ anything else i've not discovered yet!)
http://photos.yahoo.com/shineyblue944
Old 09-02-2004, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Thanks much. I should've looked at Clark's, you'd think I would have learned that by now.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 09-02-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: