Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Oil Gauge / Pressure Sender / " ! " Light Questions

Will a malfunction with the Oil Pressure Sender Gauge (mine shoots up past the 5 bar and stays there after ignition) cause the " ! " light and oil light (under pressure gauge) to stay on?

Not sure of the best way to describe my symptoms, but here's my best shot:

Upon ignition, all my dash lights show full strength (100%) for the 5 - 10 seconds, then shut off. Now, during daytime driving, everything is peachy, except for the oil gauge which stays stuck about the 5 bar. However, nighttime driving (less ambient light) I can see the " ! " (warning) light and the light beneath the oil pressure gauge light up intermittently, but the lights are never full strength like when the car starts up. I'd say the two lights are at 20% brightness, if that makes sense. Not bright enough to be visible during the day, but when darkness falls it is apparent enough for me to be asking this long drawn out question...

So, any suggestions, ideas, cautions, etc?

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have the same problem..but mine drops below 1 bar..it goes down to like .8..but the ! and the oil warning light are connected in some way, and they flicker at the same time.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just went through the exact same thing, well almost, my gauge needle would read 5 at start-up then go to 3.5 after warming up. Any way my ! light started flickering very dim at first then finally the oil pressure light also came on. Mine never dropped below 1 bar though. Any way i cleaned the connector wire terminals to sender (had a steering fluid leak) and re-tightened them up. more warning lights. On my 86 there is another sender or sensor located just below throttle inlet (has 2 spade connectors) cleaned them also so 1 of the sets was not working right. No more warning lights. Then again the sender/s may be bad.
1989 Dodge Shortbed(project)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I spent some time under the car earlier with a paper towel and a can of WD40. Cleaned the oil pressure sender wires, and lo n behold, the gauge is working fine. (All this time I thought the gauge was showing I had a lil over 5 quarts of oil... doh)

On accel. I'll get pressure just short of a 5 bar, and on idle (after 20 mins of driving) It'll hover shakily around 3.. Good enough for me.

Now this is more driving than I have done when I'd see the " ! " and oil light at night, which leads me to question whether its a short of some sort.

Dumas - I'll have to check on the sensor near the throttle inlet. Any idea what that one's for?

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have no idea, i just kinda stumbled onto it. There's been some other discussions about a pressure relieve valve that might cause this problem. Check other oil related topics. Good Luck.
1989 Dodge Shortbed(project)
Old 09-07-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: