Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
any thoughts/opinions?

just thought that i'd throw this one out, and see what theory's abound!
the air temp sensor in the AFM reads 0.82k. the eng temp sensor reads 0.92k, both at correct air temps. these are far removed from the correct readings.
question, with these readings on the low side, how will this affect the dme, and its output, as regards fuel mixture, and ignition timing??
for the record, the car starts immediately{dont they all}although it does idle low, almost stalling, until it warms up. it seems to have a lot of pep, until the eng temp gets up to normal, then i do notice a little drop off in performance.
i'm changing the AFM completely, and installing a new eng temp sensor.
just curious to see what the experts opinion's are!
regards, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the reply! hmm, what can i say, my idle {warm}is at only 700rpm, and at cold start, 600rpm. when i bought the car, this is how it was, and i just let it go, as the idle is smooth. incidentally, even at 700rpm, when warm, oil pressure is between 2.5, and 3 bar.
the tach is reading fine, as i have verified it at different speeds, in 4th gear.
so, i guess i need to start with the auxilliary air valve first! good call!
the outside temp was 24c, when i took the readings.
regards, bob.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
warm idle now at 950 rpm exactly. its amazing how used to a certain setting you get, as 950 seems too high!
its stinking hot today, about 30c, with 85% humidity, so i'm leaving taking any other readings until tomorrow morning. thats a benefit of being on afternoon shift!
probably around the end of november, when it starts to get chilly, i will be taking the 944 off the road, and up on jacks, as i intend to change the struts/shocks, ball-joints, etc and any bushings that require it. so i will also go through all the sensors/AFM etc, and when its all done, the alignment shop can get the settings, then i will probably take the car to a local shop, and get them to put it back to manufacturers settings.
the car does run great, but i guess like all sensors, over time, the internal resistance will change slowly, and go out of whack.
bob.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
30C as in 86F! You poor poor people. At noon, the bank had 106F flashing in big numbers and that isn't even the hot part of the day yet.
hehehehe when it gets to -30 C during the winter on this side of the border........

+30 C IS stinkin hot.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws

Last edited by ae1969; 09-08-2004 at 02:21 PM..
Old 09-08-2004, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
30C as in 86F! You poor poor people. At noon, the bank had 106F flashing in big numbers and that isn't even the hot part of the day yet.
He also has 85% humidity. That's slightly worse than it is in Cali.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 09-08-2004, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
yes, it can get kinda hot during summer. i believe the highest temp recorded here a couple years ago was 115f, and thats not bad for the cold north! the real culprit is the humidity, which is just as bad as in florida. we have the great lakes surrounding us, to thank for it. 86f is'nt too bad a temp, but factor in 85% humidity, and its like hells kitchen!
both fans doing some overtime in the na!!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
LOL, yeah +30 is just cooking for the frozen north... err... Canada =)
I remember the day we hit -46 last winter....

Just curious, but did you take those readings at the DME? If so, which pins are they? I would like to check mine out, my car seems to run extremely rich in the cold, smells like it's putting out straight gas.

Buy my parts!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
hi ZERO 10. i took a reading at the dme end, from pin#13, to gnd, to check eng temp sensor. on the AFM, i disconnected the plug, and checked across the outer most pins on the AFM side. i think they are #6, and #22. this is the air temp sensor. with time, value's change, and its so gradual, that you dont really notice it.
my car runs great, but i'd rather have these items back in spec.
bob.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the input. i will be changing the AFM, and trying out another eng temp sens very shortly.
regards, bob.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: