Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Engine dies after 30 seconds.

My 1986 944 has problems running. When started it only runs for 30 seconds and dies. It let it rest for 2 minutes, restart it, and then it runs for another 30 seconds and dies again. If I don't let it rest for the 2 minutes it will not start.

It seems like it might be a gas issue. Any suggestions.

Ric
Old 09-06-2004, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Only drive 30 seconds at a time.

Could also be fouled plugs or wires or a number of other things. Does it run rough or anything? was it a sudden occurence?

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 09-06-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

30 seconds

If I open the throttle it runs for the 30 seconds and quits. It go's a little longer if I squirt starting fluid into the K&N filter. So I thinks its fuel related.

The wires are stock and very old. I've ordered wires and a cap from Pelican - That was 10 days ago, It's not like them to be so slow. I'll try the wires when they arrive to eliminate that possibility.

Prior to this problem, the car was running great. The 30 second problem just started. I thought it was the seattle rain grounding the old plug wires but it seems more like a clogged fuel filter.

I'll check the fuel filter next, and the injectors spray, and the Fuel rail. I gas guage slows less than a eigth of a tank.

Come to think of it, 6 months ago it had some trouble and would surge on the freeway, especially going up a grade after it warmed up.

Last edited by itsRic; 09-06-2004 at 08:32 PM..
Old 09-06-2004, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mine had exactly the same problem (924), I found after a long search that the ground wire attached to the electronic ignition box in the front wheel arch had corroded and caused the engine to run fine then cut out, leave it for a bit and the same thing would happen. Check all your grounds etc around your ignition circuit.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: