Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Now I have an excuse to not get all teh paint chips and dings fixed...

The front of my car is covered with pits, craters, and chips from years of neglect, abuse, and road rocks. I've been meaning to get around to fixing it, but I gound an excuse earlier today to..well...not.

On my way home from out of town I drive by this one road that is cleaned once a year, at the end of winter. It's along a couple steep enbankments and in the hills so, by fall, it's covered in debris and rocks and dirt again. Some locals like racing down it. It's basically an unsanctioned rally course. I've seena few pro cars there from time to time...it's nothing major, just practice I guess.

Being alte in the afternoon on a Sunday, the line to go down the hill was short so I hopped in...just for kicks. Rear wheel drive, perfect weight distribution, underpowered, and a body I wasn't afraid the scratch and dent gave me 2nd best time for September (so far) and 2nd for August. Only car that's made if down faster was an STi.

I'm very proud of this car...they're having an "in-dark" event next weekend I'm gonna go to...put those huge lights to work.

chirp chirp

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 09-26-2004, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
I'd be careful rally racing the '44, although it does have rwd and a perfect weight balance, this is great for road racing, but as many of you know, when it gets slick the '44 loves to spin and slide. what kind of lights do you have on the car?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have two 6" pencil beams mounted in the bumper, then I have some generic 7" lense set for teh stockers with 60w/105w bulbs and custom ballasts. I have a thread about the pencil beams somewhere here.

She did slide quite a bit when she lost traction...but when you get into a situation where you're not expcting to have traction, it's easy to act against and control it. I learned this in my FC RX-7...they have a passive HICAS rear suspension that can give you all kinds of hell if you're not expecting it...

Old 09-26-2004, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
see, i like the way the fc handles as compaired to my porsche. i mean i can control it so much better when i loose traction and when i dont. to me it always seems the '24 rear end breaks loose while the fc holds firm.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The FC does hold well when stressed...it handles it a lot better than the 944 does, I believe, because of that passive rear wheel steering system. But when she breaks loose, it's MUCH more violent. I drove ym 87 sport to the ends of her abillities and got real used to it. Thanks to that experience in such a well balanced car, the '44 is fairly predictable. The car's are very similar when the traction is starting to go. But that really only plays a part on the asphault.

I rallied my FC for a season. I like rally racing...lol. They have a lot of the same tendencies when it comes to never having had traction to begin with.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I miss my FC SOOOO much...

Old 09-26-2004, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
now that i think about it, i have been a bit more tender with my FC. probably because when i got it the struts couldnt even hold their own weight up if you put them upside down on the ground, it has el cheapo tires (4 different brands on the stock 14" phonedials) and i didnt know what other problems it had. as with my porsche i thought to my self when i got it "hey, its a porsche, it can do ANYTHING!" yeah i learned that was wrong quikly... maybe if i really let loose with it my opinion my change.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: