Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy please heelp my civic

please help me about three weeks ago is was driving normally when all of a sudden my volts on my volt meter read 12.01, when i let up on the gas the volts went back up to 14.03. when i turn on the fan or head lights then the voltage goes back up to 14.
now when i first start the car it's fine for about 5 or 6 miles and then it will fall down to 12. volts or lower. after this problem i immedentaly chanced the battery with an optima yellow top, but still no luck. then i changed the altenator with a 96 amp altenator when the stock is 70 amp, still no luck. then i changed the gauge to an autometer digital voltmeter, and that still didn't solve the problem. i'm thinking that maybee the belts are slipping. when i had the altenator installed he said all three belts look worn and dry rotted. please help my 95 civic '

p.s. thanks

Old 09-26-2004, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
ummm... i think you are in the wrong forum....

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

You put an overly expsnsive battery (Interstate's batteries are just fine, no need to spend double on an Optima unless you have issues with conditions in the engine compartment causing other batteries to leak) in your car to fix a voltage problem without checking the voltage across the terminals with a hand-held multi-meter?

You put an expensive aftermarket alternator on (which will NOT increase voltage, only amperage) without checking the draw on the stock alternator?

You knew you had old and dry-rotted belts and didn't change them?

Please take your car back to the dealer and tell them that you're not sufficiently qualified to own it. No car deserves that kind of treatment. Also, fire whatever mechanic performed these services. Any good mechanic would have trouble-shot the problem first instead of throwing parts at it. That guy should not be in business.

For more constructive advice, where in the electrical harness is the voltage guage wired? It needs to be reading pretty much directly across the battery terminals, if you have spliced it into the electrical system at just any random point, it will never give you an accurate reading. Period.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 09-26-2004, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Re: please heelp my civic

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Honda Civic Repair Kit

Add to a full tank of gas!
LOL

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Normal civic owners don't work on their cars...so when I was in one, I couldn't go to civic forums and expect real help. I went to the FC/B RX7Club forums and the MKII/III Supraforums and asked. Much like here...those people WORKED on cars and knew what the hell was up.

Last time I asked a legit question on a honda forum I was told that my filter wasn't big enough and that I needed to get a CAI.

(question was 5k engine cut)

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 09-26-2004, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71

(question was 5k engine cut)
what was the answer?

btw, i owned a civic and worked on it myself.... but i never even thought of going to one of their forums because of what you just despribed. but it should be asked in the lounge.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Faulty cold solder point in the ECU. After 5k, no signal went to the injectors.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 09-26-2004, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

sounds like the car is totally trasched, Honda put on a service advice about this fault, basically they say after this fault the car is a write-off

so now you need to buy a porsche

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 09-27-2004, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sell Civic

Buy Porsche

Or you could try posting your question here
Civic Friendly Forum

These guys are much better at questions like this
Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
Sell Civic

Buy Porsche

Or you could try posting your question here
Civic Friendly Forum

These guys are much better at questions like this

hahahahahahah ROFLMAO

rennlist

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 09-27-2004, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
yes, the belts are slipping, but i would pour a little more cash in it before i tightened them up.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Just trying to be helpful.

You could try here as well.....Ask for KurtV

Very heavy traffic import racer forum
Old 09-27-2004, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TSNAPCRACKLEPOP
yes, the belts are slipping, but i would pour a little more cash in it before i tightened them up.
Yeah, I'd put a bigger stereo in it and some of those ghetto tires that stick 8" outside the fender wells.

But whatever you do, DON'T try tightening the belts. And never replace them if they're dry rotted.

And please, please DON'T buy a Porsche!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
i think that might have been a joke post... although I admit that I don't get the joke...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-27-2004, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Man, and you guys say the 911 guys are snobs. A totally misplaced post though with an obvious answer? Troll?
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 09-27-2004, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Had to be a troll....wasn't it obvious....

Someone replaces the whole electical system when their belts are 'dry rotted'. Then answers their own question at the bottom of the post?!

YOU GUYS HAVE TO DO ALOT BETTER THAN THAT!

(must have been a new troll, no serious kills under his belt yet)
Old 09-28-2004, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

you know i put new belts and that still didn't solve the problem.

i tried honda forums, and all forums for that matter but i thought i'd try the porche forums because porches are harder to work on.

i didn't think that i would have a bunch of jackass's responding, i just needed a little help. if you want to leave a helpful responce
then go ahead, but if not, your mom should have swallowed
Old 10-09-2004, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
just because Porsches are more expensive does NOT mean they are harder to work on. My 944 is the easiest-to-work-on post-1970s car I have worked on.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-09-2004, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Yeah, now thats going to get a ton of people to help you. Take it to a REAL mechanic.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 10-09-2004, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by civicworks
you know i put new belts and that still didn't solve the problem.

i tried honda forums, and all forums for that matter but i thought i'd try the porche forums because porches are harder to work on.

i didn't think that i would have a bunch of jackass's responding, i just needed a little help. if you want to leave a helpful responce
then go ahead, but if not, your mom should have swallowed
Belt tension?

And I'm sorry, but you're still an idiot for not trouble-shooting this before you threw parts at it.

I ask again, how is your voltage guage wired in? The location at which it taps into the electrical system is absolutely critical. If you just spliced it into any old live 12v lead, then chances are that all the odd readings are simply because of an inept installation.

It needs to be on a clean lead, as close to the battery as possible. In an ideal world, it would run directly across the battery terminals.

Aaron

Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 10-09-2004, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: