Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Unhappy I'm afraid of blowing up

Hi everyone!
So I am a new 944 owner ('87 N/A), and I have been doing my best to educate myself on my car. Seeing as how I am NO mechanic, I have been relatively happy about what I have come to understand thus far. However....one of the many reasons that few women work on cars is that an "accident" can quinkly spoil a pretty face. I don't mind gettin' dirty but I can't deal with any type of permanant scar resulting from me screwing around under the hood. That being said....I need to replace my fuel lines. I have the parts, have read the instructions thoroughly, and know to depressurize the fuel system and not let any fuel get on the distributor. I also have new ignition wires and spark plugs to install. So...is it as easy as following directions, or am I attempting to undertake a risky adventure? I know I can pay to have this all done for me, but I really want to do it myself. I know doing fuel line and ignition stuff seems like cake to most of you guys so don't be naughty and make fun, but, please tell me what you think.
Thanks So Much!!

Old 09-27-2004, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MikeCT
1. Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful (sometimes miserable) world of 944 ownership.
2. Well you must have a pretty face because ugly people don't worry about being horribly disfigured. I should know.
3. When starting a car project take the time you think you can finish in and multiply that by at least 3. Those directions do not include stuck and rusted bolts and other fasteners.
4. When working with fuel components make sure there is no open flames. This sounds like commomn sense because it is but there are many folks that lack in that department.
5. Take your time and you will make out ok. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull. - W. C. Fields
Old 09-27-2004, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I used to have a similar apprehension about working around gasoline, but at MikeCT said, as long as there's nothing to set the gas on fire, it won't set on fire. It's very predictable stuff, as long as you take the necessary precautions. Disconnect the battery (or remove it entirely, you don't want any sparks), get as much gas out of the tank as possible (by driving or siphoning), and work out in the open. A breezy day would be ideal. This is basically what I did when I was replacing my fuel lines and filter. By the way, the best way I've found to wash gas off your hands is a strong hair shampoo. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

944Girl:

Where are you located? I'm in Charlotte, so if you're close by I'd be willing to give you a hand.

I currently have an '86 Turbo and an '87 NA, and my first Porsche was an '84 NA. I do all of the work on these cars, so I've seen pretty much everything.

You can reach me off-list here: Porsche944@carolina.rr.com

BTW: My older sister and I started working on cars when I was about 10, so I don't have any problems working with a lady.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
so predictable

every time a girl posts in this forum, the immediate response is always "where are you located? maybe I'll give you a hand" It's only a matter of time before forum members start PMing you asking for a pic

shameless
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-28-2004, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey, I never thought that working on the car could mess up my face!

I guess scars can look more attractive on guys though....

Welcome to the board.
It is nice to see you trying the work yourself....It should be follow the directions type of stuff. Make sure you disconnect the battery. I am in the habit of doing that for most repairs.

If you really want to do some of these things yourself, this is a great forum to get info.

Also check out this resource....very very good info.
click on shop manual -clarks garage

Good luck.

BTW- yeh CJ, usually someone closeby trys to be chivalrous and help, then someone attacks them to be chivalrous and 'save' the girl.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

CJFusco wrote:

"so predictable

every time a girl posts in this forum, the immediate response is always "where are you located? maybe I'll give you a hand" It's only a matter of time before forum members start PMing you asking for a pic"

Actually I take offense to that statement because I make it a point to offer to help ANY 944 owner who is close enough to my home in Charlotte.

I went through a pretty steep learning curve when I bought my '84 over 5 years ago, so I know what it's like to have a "new" car that you know very little if anything about.

However, during those 5 odd years I have learned enough about these cars so that I can do anything except body work and tranny rebuilds.

Unlike some others, I am more than willing to share what I have learned gratis, no strings attached, and that's what seperates the men from the boys.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
Some good advice in this thread, I will add that there are no scars on my face (prettiness or lack thereof will be left as an exercise for this reader) although my hands do kind of look used and abused

That said, don't fear the car. If you work slowly and take your time, you won't screw anything up, and if you do, you can fix it. People put it together, so people can repair it. If you're working on the fuel system make sure there's a fire extinguisher somewhere nearby, don't smoke, don't work by candlelight, etc. etc. etc. and have fun. If you've got any specific questions post back, and/or check out clark's garage for some how-to procedures.

I'm kinda impressed that a girl is willing to attempt this by herself, there's no magic to it, but unfortunately I know very few females with that inclination.

good luck,

nate

(too far away to even bother with the offers of help...)
Old 09-28-2004, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Oh, another tip.
(you guys are going to think I am a weenie for this but...)

I always wear latex surgical/exam gloves to work on the car. Keeps the hands and especially nails nice and clean.

Working clean - both parts and hands - is a very good idea.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
well working clean didnt go for me. I had to wash my hands like 20 times and it wasnt cutting it...a quick wipe on the rag and back off to work I went. I pulled my tranny and did the clutch with a little creative profanity and a lot of words that started with the letter F. Mind you I had access to a lift and air tools, so anyone that did their clutch while the car was on jackstands in your garage...I give you props cuse I would have never been able to do that...
Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
so predictable

every time a girl posts in this forum, the immediate response is always "where are you located? maybe I'll give you a hand" It's only a matter of time before forum members start PMing you asking for a pic

shameless
Who wants to bet the first message in 944girl's inbox is from CJFusco...

Just joking of course..I'm positive I was the first one!
Old 09-28-2004, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Wow! I love you guys! Thanks for all of the advice! My confidence has been boosted now that I have received no horror stories! And BTW, I think it's very nice that those closeby offer to help. Thank you CJ! I went to the Clark's Garage site and what a helpful resource! Thanks for the info TCMdocs! Anyway, I'm going to do my tune up (wires, plugs, cap) and get the feel of leaning over an engine, and then after a bit more research, I think I will attempt the fuel lines. Thank you all sooooo much! I glad to be here!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian J
Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
Oh, another tip.
(you guys are going to think I am a weenie for this but...)

I always wear latex surgical/exam gloves to work on the car. Keeps the hands and especially nails nice and clean.

Working clean - both parts and hands - is a very good idea.
Two tips given to me by a professional mechanic (my father-in-law).
1. Before working liberally apply hand lotion. Seems to fill in the cracks where dirt/grease hides.
2. rub hands with a liquid soap (small amount) before working on a car. rub hands until dry and do not wash until done.

have used both methods and have had some success.

Best advice to keep hands cleaner is to get someone else to do the work for you

http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Brian_J
Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Good call on hand care! I have definately been wearing gloves but it's good to know that there are ways to better protect and clean bare hands.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Welcome to the board and good luck with the new ride. Don't worry: I've wrenched on cars for several years and can honestly say that it does NOT take away good looks (because I never had any to begin with). But if you're worried about getting dirty, you're in the wrong hobby, girlfriend.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

944Girl:

Be VERY careful when you go to replace those fuel lines. I tried to install some Stainless Steel braided lines on my 951, but the quality of the lines really sucks.

The "kit" came with two lines, one for supply and one for return. Each line had red anodized hose clamp covers which would have looked pretty spiffy.

However, the hose for the supply line did not fit the barb on the Fuel Pressure Regulator and I got a wicked fuel leak.

I have a different supply line installed and I think I'm going to switch to Lindsey Racing's fuel lines during the winter hibrenation.

On a different note, you might want to pop over to http://www.rennlist.com and join their 924/944/968 and related forums.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche944

Actually I take offense to that statement because I make it a point to offer to help ANY 944 owner who is close enough to my home in Charlotte.

I went through a pretty steep learning curve when I bought my '84 over 5 years ago, so I know what it's like to have a "new" car that you know very little if anything about.

However, during those 5 odd years I have learned enough about these cars so that I can do anything except body work and tranny rebuilds.

Unlike some others, I am more than willing to share what I have learned gratis, no strings attached, and that's what seperates the men from the boys.
All in good fun, duder.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-28-2004, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

This thread is worthless without pics!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

^^^^^^^Heee^^^^^^

Oh and BTW- the distributor cap can be a real PITA. It either takes all of a minute to put back on or 15 minutes. Might try marking the screws with nail polish to figure out exactly where to turn them when reinstalling.

You push in and turn 90 degrees.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

CJFusco wrote:

"All in good fun, duder."

OK, mia culpa. We're cool.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: