Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Putting it away for a couple of months..

Winter is coming pretty soon, so I think I'm going to put the 44 away for a couple of months, and take the oppurtunity to fix all the little things(because there's nothing major wrong with it) and maybe do preformance stuff... Is there anything I should keep in mind when putting a car into storage?

I'm planning on taking it out for a spin whenever it's clear and dry, just so it doesn't sit there for months without running. Should I jack it up to prevent flat spots and disconnect the battery?

Old 09-28-2004, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Clowd,

Definately disconnect the battery if you are not using a trickle charger. I've been storing my 85.5 on and off for 20 years and I bought a few batteries before I wised up.

If you're going to drive the car a bit you can just over inflate the tires while it is in storage. Another approach, that I'm using, is to get a set of skanky wheels/tire off ebay and use them for storage. I'm usinf a set of rusty '67 912 wheels that were on a car I restored years back.

The great part about storage is that you'll appreciate the car all over again in the spring!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

why store the car? winter won't do anything to it...
Old 09-28-2004, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well it's mainly an excuse to fix things, and also to get one more use out of the maxima before i sell it. If the roads are clear enough I'm still going to use the Porsche.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i know what you mean! i usually put my car into the garage about mid-november, and it generally stays there until around april. of course, if there are any nice dry days, without major snow, then i cant shake the urge to take her out one more time, b4 old man winter gets a hold.
i put in 5/30 oil {well, it does get down to about -30c}, and start and run the car twice a week. however, the good thing about the down time, is that i get time to change all the things i should have done last year!!
so its ball-joints/knuckles/struts/shocks/motor mounts etc.
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
damn, now thats COLD!

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow, doesn't get that cold here, usually a few degrees below 0 is normal.

I didn't really think of putting different oil for the cold in, should I?

I'm not doing anything that major, mainly just weatherstripping stuff, but my brakes seem to be acting up, my wheel will turn to one side when braking, so fixing that would be nice.. Other than that it's just little things, like fixing the damn oil pressure guage that works whenever it feels like it.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Im putting mine away around mid november, but I am still going to try to drive it on nice days

MODS: ENGINE: Firebraid 9mm plugwires. Weltmeister Throttle Cam, Dansk exhaust. lo-temp thermostat & fan switch, aluminum radiator. SUSPENSION: H&R 250lb springs, KYB GR-2 struts(front) Bilstien Shocks(rear), Racing Dynamics strut bar, APPEARANCE: 15" Phone Dial wheels, a-pillar w/ VDO H2O and volts gauges.

1987 944-S Montego Black
-needs your help
Old 09-29-2004, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Reminds me of Winters when I lived in Roachester New York. Out here in Tucson, it is the opposite. In the Summer, wait until after dark, but Winter is fantastic Porsche weather.

I would recommend the Schumaker trickle charger. Mounts easily on the passenger side near the shock tower with a bit of creativity.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Parrothead member

I usually put my '44 away for the winter, gives me a chance to do some maintenance, major cleaning and the like. this winter, right after the nj/ny fall run in two weeks, it gets locked in the garage for a engine rebuild and a repaint.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: