Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Who would like a couple more inches?

Wider wheels make everyone happy, right?

I looked around at wide-body flares, or the lack there of, and was very disapointed. What I found were either ugly ugly pieces or high prices...usually both together. Just unacceptable.

So, what I'm wanting to make are 2" flares (1" in front). They'll be cut to where they're obvious additions, but can easily be fiberglassed to the body to look clean and smooth. They won't be replacements for the stock fenders...they'll lay over the stock body, cut to sorta meet the stock lines. This means you won't have to have different bumpers. You might, however, have to cut the stock fenders a bit in order to accomidate wider tires or spacers (to keep the tires from rubbing the stock panels. They'll be made of 100% polyester materials so the pieces will have some give to them and not be brittle, and an expanding high density foam will be included to add some reinforcement between the new panel and the stock one.

The BIG thing is that they'll be cheap. I'm aiming at selling the full set for $400+shipping. However, I'm not taking the project on without interest. I need a couple people who are ready for a product, money in hand, ready to pay as soon as the prototype meets expectations.

So...opinions?

944 oriented, just to point out...

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 09-29-2004, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have put a bit of thought into this myself Mac.

I would like what I call a 'More 944'. Subtle increase in the line of all curves.

Instead of a full on bumper I have considered fabricating from metal an addition to the fender 'line'. Put a little less than 90deg. brake in it and weld it directly over the old fender. Grind down. Touch up and paint.

I don't know if you could get two inches out of it but one inch is a definate. Wouldn't change the wheel well at all therefore no spacer/wheel upgrade.

Follow me?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I get what you're saying but it's not exactly along the same goal as mine. I want something to accomidate wider wheels/tires...not just look a bit more "flared". If you're just looking for a bit of flare, hit a junk yard for a P-Type MKII (1981-1986.5) Toyota Supra...the fender flares are bolt on and fit on the 944 (and 924 I've heard) pretty well.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Are you talking early or late car. I ask because the earlies have a good bit of room left for wide wheels.

as for the flairs

actually, gt-racing beat you to it.

Gt-racing catolog....look on first page

All kinds of 44 goodies in there.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

^sorry...not spending $400+ per panel. GT-Racing may make a lot of nifty things but you have to keep in mind two aspects of their company when considering this stuff:

1.) They're stupidly expensive.
2.) All their stuff is UGLY!

Old 09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

And it doesn't matter how much room is in the stock well for improvement...some people like WIDER than normal wheels, some people want a wider stance in the rear, all kinds of things.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I hear ya Mak.

Their prices are very steep.
Believe me, I am not one to stop creativity....I love it..

I think the poly reenforced idea is great.

Another idea
Why don't you make a front panel that is wider AND ties into the front so that we can instal boxter lights! That, I would love.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

How wide tires to you want to run. I want to go with 245 50 15's all around and I was told they would fit!!
Old 09-29-2004, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

He is talking about wider wheels....like 8, 9, 10, etc. They would fit a very very large tire.

I think you can go up to 245 or 255 Dunlop 8000's. They look really mean with cookies.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

not just wide tires, though. You could run wider wheels/tires PLUS spacers to widen the stance. There's more there than just "a little wider tire". What about people who want to run 255/40-17's on a late offset?

Old 09-30-2004, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

is it possible to put spacers on my 83 to give it a wider stance? What does this involve?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Uhmmm I run 255's on both the turbo and the NA in the rear.....

A friend runs 265's.

How much wider are you planning on running?

And if you do decide to go this route with $$$$$ wheels.... the body pieces from GTracing are a drop in a bucket in the whole scheme.

So are we widening the stance for looks? if its for racing again the cost of panels is the least of your worries when you are going through tires on a weekly basis.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-30-2004, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Bchip - here are the threads on my spacer upgrade....I upgraded to late porsche offset but the cookies would still roll on them. Just to give you an idea if you wanted to go all out.

spacers 1 for early

spacers 2 for early

there is another post of mine on grinding rear stock spacers down to fit the front if you search.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: