Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

throttle response cam question

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if I have a Weltmeister throttle response cam??My cars throttle cam looks brand new and Im trying to find out if it is the factory peice or aftermarket..Reason Im asking is, if it is a stocker,I will be purchasing the Weltmeister from Pelican..Thanks..

Old 09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

The throttle cable will run over a turnie-thingy. If it is perfectly round (and red,as I recall) it is the throttle cam. If its oblong, it is stock.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S

here is a pic of my engine, see if it is round then it is aftermarket

Old 09-29-2004, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

/off topic. What kind of MAF is that?

MODS: ENGINE: Firebraid 9mm plugwires. Weltmeister Throttle Cam, Dansk exhaust. lo-temp thermostat & fan switch, aluminum radiator. SUSPENSION: H&R 250lb springs, KYB GR-2 struts(front) Bilstien Shocks(rear), Racing Dynamics strut bar, APPEARANCE: 15" Phone Dial wheels, a-pillar w/ VDO H2O and volts gauges.

1987 944-S Montego Black
-needs your help
Old 09-30-2004, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Huntley racing stage 2 MAF kit, I have been running it for about 5 years now, I installed it when my AFM went south. I love it and it works well
Old 09-30-2004, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Re: throttle response cam question

Quote:
Originally posted by mitsumark
Can anyone tell me how I can find out if I have a Weltmeister throttle response cam??My cars throttle cam looks brand new and Im trying to find out if it is the factory peice or aftermarket..Reason Im asking is, if it is a stocker,I will be purchasing the Weltmeister from Pelican..Thanks..
If you find it's a stock cam take a hacksaw and cut the arm off the stock cam so that it's round- they're aluminum and cut like butter. Then file any sharp edges and in 10 minutes you'll have a throttle cam and an extra 25-40 bucks in your pocket.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Fast 924,How do you like that throttle response cam?Did you notice a change in throttle response after you installed it?Im used to playing with turbo cars and Im trying anything to get my 944 na to feel a lil peppier..I know the NA is what it is but it really seems slow..Im thinking Weltmeister throttle response cam,K&N cone,slightly larger exhaust,and finally the FR WILK chip I hear so many great things about..Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Macfreak007
the throttle response cam does nothing for performance, but it definately adds some seat of the pants feeling, I would highly reccomend it!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip jjgrow..I went out in the garage and looked at it closely..It is perfectly round so Im taking its aftermarket..Thanks for the replies..
Old 09-30-2004, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I like the cam alot, It really adds to the throttle response, Turbo cars rock but for now Im stuck with making my NA fast but Im thinking of adding a supercharger soon, ANyway the first steps I would reccomend you take are,
1. Throttle cam
2. Header and full exhaust
3. fr-wilk chip
4. K&N or some type of cold air intake setup
5. ignition upgrade

I bet when you do those 5 things you will notice a difference, nothing huge like a turbo but a difference, If you want to go a step up up from the 5 things then include those 5 things and these.

6. Cam
7. Larger throttle body
8. MAF upgrade
9. under drive pullies
10 light weight flywheel.

After that you need to start getting into the engine or buying some type of power adder ect, Nitrous, Supercharger. Also reducing weight from the car will make her faster.

It takes alot of time and money to get HP from a NA car, But the end result rocks, Have fun and you can never have to much power

Last edited by fast924S; 09-30-2004 at 07:26 PM..
Old 09-30-2004, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
can you explain the purpose/function of the Huntley MAF? I am intrigued
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-30-2004, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
??? Im confused, what do you mean, Isnt it a given?? More air flow, fully adjustable fuel control, better throttle response, The kit came with the ARC2 "fuel control" a A/F gauge and a adjustable FPR, HR claimed 15hp on a stock 944. Only thing I dont like about it is where it is sucking air, but that will be a quick fix soon. Her is some more pics of my old setup
Old 09-30-2004, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Pic of the ARC2
Old 09-30-2004, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Pic of the A/F gauge
Old 09-30-2004, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
details on the ARC 2

Description:

The ARC2 Air/fuel Ratio Calibrator provides precise adjustment of the air/fuel ratio over the entire operating range of an internal combustion engine. It is especially useful for re-calibration of modified engines. The alteration or addition of turbochargers, superchargers, fuel injectors, fuel regulators, throttle bodies, intake plenums, Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensors or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors changes the air/fuel ratio. The ARC2 gives the user a convenient way to set the fuel mixture for rich, lean or stoichiometric operation over the entire RPM and load range.

The ARC2-A is specifically designed for the replacement of an Air Flow Meter (AFM) intake measurement system with a MAF sensor. The ARC2-A performs the required signal conditioning to assure compatibility. Conversion to the MAF sensor removes a major restriction on the engine resulting in higher power and efficiency.

The ARC2 provides a means to achieve a best fit curved line approximation to the desired air/fuel calibration curve. It gives the user the ability to make these adjustments without a PROM change in the ECU. Furthermore, these adjustments can be made by the driver on-the-fly to optimize the air/fuel ratio for the current driving situation. The ARC2 also provides the ability to fine tune acceleration boost for optimum throttle response.

The ARC2 is typically used in conjunction with a precision air/fuel ratio meter such as the Split Second ARM1. The air/fuel ratio meter provides the required information needed to properly set the ARC2 front panel controls.

Features:

Low load calibration (offset adjust)

Mid load calibration (linearity adjust)

High load calibration (gain adjust)

Acceleration boost adjust

Elevation compensation

Output clamp (assures output is kept within ECU range)

Filter to provide a smooth idle and optimum response

Transient surge and battery reversal protection

Automatic panel illumination dimming at night

Front Panel Adjustments:

LOW

The LOW control adds a variable offset to the input signal. It therefore moves the output up or down (rich or lean) by a fixed amount over the entire operating range. The LOW control causes greater percentage changes at low load conditions. Idle and low speed cruise are low load conditions.

MID

The MID control alters the linearity of the input signal. Increasing the setting of the MID control bows the curve so that mid load values are boosted more than low and high load values. The MID control is used to fine tune the air/fuel ratio at moderate acceleration levels.

HIGH

The HIGH control changes the gain of the input signal. It therefore changes the output level by a fixed percentage over the entire operating range. Adjustment of the HIGH control is the primary way to control air/fuel ratio at high loads. High loads occur during full throttle acceleration and climbing steep grades.

ACCEL

The ACCEL control adds an adjustable offset to the signal. The offset is activated by the TPS switch and provides enrichment as the engine comes off of idle. Accel boost is used to both optimize throttle response and minimize emissions.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Quote:
Originally posted by fast924S
??? Im confused, what do you mean, Isnt it a given??
Don't get fresh with me, young man.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 09-30-2004, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Details on the A/F gauge or ARM1

Description:

The ARM1 is a precision, miniature instrument that provides an easy to read, real time indication of the air/fuel ratio of an internal combustion engine. It may be used with either an existing or dedicated EGO (Exhaust Gas Oxygen) sensor. High impedance, precision circuitry is used to avoid loading the output of the EGO sensor while rejecting noise and preserving accuracy.

The output of the ARM1 is a 10 segment, 5 color LED display. The use of color makes the meter readable with peripheral vision. It is calibrated for a 5V full scale input range and sensitivity of 0.5V per display segment.

The ARM1 is particularly useful with modified engines to assure proper air/fuel ratio. It is an ideal monitoring tool when calibrating engine air/fuel ratio or making adjustments while driving. The ARM1_5-0 is specifically designed for use with oxygen sensors that produce a 5V output range where 5V corresponds to a lean reading and 0V corresponds to rich.

Features:

Five color display can be read with peripheral vision

Dimming feature automatically reduces brightness at night

Miniature size allows wide range of installation options

Differential inputs reject induced noise and preserve accuracy

Signal filtering enhances readability of the display

High input impedance does not effect operation of the EGO sensor

Battery reversal protection
Old 09-30-2004, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Question

fast924S, do you happen to know what brand/model of MAF Huntley supplied? What's the internal diameter?

Just asking because MAF's are quite widely available, and ARC-2's aren't that expensive on their own.

I've idly looked around on the web at various MAF's.

These are available for various cars from $120 to $1,000 - VW 2.0 MAF's (made by Bosche, BTW) were available for $30 for a while last year.

Seems to me that, if you could match a MAF to the stock AFM output curve, you wouldn't need the ARC-2 to tune it.

Found a place that will match a MAF kit to your stock AFM for $600 - but you need to send them a fully-functional AFM to do the mapping.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Here I know that everything that Huntley used is form split second.

http://www.splitsec.com/

just check out there products or E-mail them, If that doesnt work then I will take my MAF apart and give you some measurments

Old 10-01-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: