Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exhaust pipe problem

I found my exhaust pipe almost came out from the muffler. Maybe I was lucky to find out before I loose it.

I am not sure if I have to weld it by myself or do I need to drive the car to some repair shop?. I need your opinion what should I do?

http://www.powerhan.com/pipe/

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You could probably weld it, or have it welded. However, the pipe and muffler look pretty rusty. Welding it will only slightly delay the inevitable........

Best choice would be to replace the muffler and pipe.
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Im with wolf, the muffler looks beat, replace it
Old 09-29-2004, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Ouch............that thing is hurting........

Definitely replace
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-29-2004, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

How much am I looking at? I would like to weld it if I can drive another year. But If mine doesn't look like to hold it for another year, I might have to change both muffler and exhaust pipe. I don't need a fancy one and this is my daily driving car now. Please let me know how much money for the parts and labor that I have to think at the local shop.

I appreciate your information.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I remember geting an estimate for a stock muffler somewhere around the neighborhood of $900 (YMMV tho).. Area mechanics quoted me anywhere between $250 for a commodity grade to $500+ for a performance muffler.

The Meinekes and Monroes of the world will usually be more than happy to give you a free estimate.

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know about the US prices but I got quoted for a stock mild steel one and it was around 800-900 just for the rear silencer and connecting pipes. I got a local sports exhaust manufacturer to build me a stainless one. It cost 200 for the entire thing! it's guaranteed for 10 years and it sounds awesome!! The guy spent a good hour with me discussing exactly what I wanted (it took so long because I didn't know!) I ended up with a stock style oval tailpipe but with a straight through design exhaust (HP increased significantly!)

Get it replaced now, get a stainless and don't delay! I welded my dodgy old mild steel one three times in as many weeks (in different places) before I did this and I would have saved myself a lot of hassle by doing it in the first place!

Once it's done, it's done - bodging repairs is a false economy!
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 10-01-2004, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Too bad you're so far away. I've got a stock '87 muffler that I'd almost give away. I've had my pipes where they meet the cat welded a a local shop that did it while I waited and charged me 20 bucks.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-01-2004, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Installed at the local muffler shop.

I drove down to a local muffler shop and replaced the muffler for less than $129. When they cut the muffler out, it was rusted as below pictures but still looked OK for me, but it was too late to weld just the end exhaust pipe. I should have asked to weld the end pipe for $20 like you said. and it might hold on for couple of month or year.

However, I decided to go ahead and take other people's advice here and forget about it at least couple of years.
Since the new muffler is not a stainless steel, it will rust again just like my old one. Life goes on I guess.

Thank you all for your advice. It was very helpful.

http://www.powerhan.com/pipex/

I added couple of photos from the bottom of my car. If you see anything strange, please share with me. and let me know what you think about my cheap muffler.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Unhappy Vibration after the new muffler

I replaced my muffler at the local muffler shop with the generic one. After the installation, I start to feel more vibration from the entire car. Side Windows and my seats are shivering and giving me a headache.

I stopped by the shop today. and they told met that there is something wrong with my engine mount OR Fuel Injector. I explained that the vibration started After they installed the new muffler, but there is no echo. They asked me to bring the car to the Porsche Mechanics.

Since they are so strong that there is nothing wrong with the muffler, now I dont' t know what this problem is.

A friend told me that the muffler is not installed in the proper location. Below is the pictures.

or if above pictures are not showing up...
http://www.powerhan.com/pipex/
Old 10-05-2004, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Well, first of all it looks like your catalytic converter's taken a hit sometime along the way, or maybe it just looks that way.
The muffler looks a little too far back, and maybe a little on the low side, but not too bad for positioning.

I don't know what the vibration could be. I'm not really an exhaust guy.

Buy my parts!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure whether it's the pic, bu to meit looks like the muffler is too small, too far back and not high enough. mine is only 1" max away from heat shield. IF the exhaust is the cause of the vibration it will probably be more to do with specification than being fitted wrongly by the looks of things.

I know it's a lot of cash but you would seriously be better getting a stainless replacement designed for the car rather than a generic stop me and buy one kind! You could have gotten a stainless for a similar price...

Take it to another exhaust place and tell them what happened. You may be able to get some comeback if an 'expert' tells you it's the exhaust.

It may be that you need to make adjustments to your mixture/timing now that the airflow has changed. Every exhaust has a resonance (like a pipe organ!) if you get the wrong length/diameter it could be more noticeable and cause vibration...

( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 10-06-2004, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: