Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to tkrefeld
White stuff in antifreeze

Opened my overflow tank today to check the float of the antifreeze because it is getting so cold. White junk all over the part of the cap in the tank. What is this stuff??

Old 10-05-2004, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Probably oil in the coolant....You need new oil cooler seals..

2-4 hour job for the novice....very very very messy.

Must replace all oil and coolant and flush the system/clean the hoses.

If this is the case the 'milkshake' will get progressively worse.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just on the cap. Fluid looks ok. Still have a cooler problem?? Shop rate for this??
thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

milk

Heard of this before. Any idea what a shop would charge for it?? Oil looks ok and anti is not too bad definately some junk. Need to drive the car though. $100 fix?? $1,000 fix?

Last edited by tkrefeld; 10-05-2004 at 07:17 PM..
Old 10-05-2004, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

is the white junk oily? foamy?

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-06-2004, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Check your oil dipstick for milkshake traces as well. Also look deep into your oil filler neck. If its oil cooler seals, slop should appear in both places.

If it is in fact the oil seals, you're looking at a $400+ repair. However, I just did mine by myself for the $40 cost of the seals - and I'm NOT mechanically inclined by any stretch. it was just time consuming and yes, very messy.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 10-06-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Actually, you can have an oil cooler leak with no coolant in the oil.

It sounds like you are in the beginning stages. Can you drive it that way? Yes.
How long will it last? Could be months or maybe years.

Risk of letting it go? Oil will start to gunk up the cooling system.

It sounds as if you have a very small leak.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The white stuff... let me guess, it's the exact same color and texture of wrigley's gum having been chewed and left in the heat. Antifreeze (green stuff) breaks down over time and this is the result. You may flush n fill all the time but a PO may not of. This is harmless as long as it's only in a few non-effective spots, such as the cap. I've never cleaned a cap that well even doing a flush n fill.
Watch the radiator closely. An acid flush will sometimes do more harm than good by releasing some build up that has been preventing leaks.
REC: flush it and fill it every year. When your radiator takes a dump, replace with new not a rodded or rebuilt. Pull some hoses in the meantime during flush and check for more white build up. Can't miss this stuff, really sticky and not easy to rid of.
92 Subaru
97 Boxster
Old 10-06-2004, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Good info. So, as long as the whole coolant tank(just cap) is not white milkshake and the oil is not milkshake I can continue to drive it and maybe just flush it out. Then, get it repaired when I have the time and $, or just take the chance and it may go on for years and be OK?? If it gets to the point where the oil has antifreeze in it, then it must be done correct??
Old 10-06-2004, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Sounds about right.

You may not even need to flush yet....just once a year.

A little oil in the cooling system isn't the worst thing in the world, just deteriorates rubber quicker (some of these hoses are $$$ though).

Coolant in the oil circulation is another story entirely.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

well, if you have phosphate base coolant (read green coolant, most of the time), you may have some oxidized aluminum salts building up. this will give you white/gray buildup in your cooling system.

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-06-2004, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: