Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ornery Bastard

OT, my other car is getting tires ASAP!

Driving home from work tonight in the Mark VIII, it's near Seattle so it's rainy today. Since I already know that the Mark isn't that great in the rain I'm not going around corners fast.

Hit the last corner before the turnoff for my apartment complex, normally a 30+ mph corner in the dry, I'm taking it at about 15 today. Next thing I know, I'm spinning; full opposite lock, brake pedal full to the floor and coming to a stop, unscathed, on the shoulder (paved shoulder on a country-ish road) of my lane, 180 degrees from my intended direction.

It's a small miracle that I didn't put the car in the ditch and I'm damn glad that I didn't panic and forget what to do in a spin. Remember the old saying, "Start to spin, both feet in." ("Both feet" meaning both brake and clutch if applicable.)

So, now I'm looking for some serious rain tires for the Mark. Back in Ohio, the current tires were OK, but out here there is way too much rain to have marginal-at-best wet-weather tires.

So, any recommendations for tires that are great in rain? I don't care about dry weather traction, it can't be that bad of the tire is great in rain.

Two lessons here for observers:

1) Don't panic! There's always the possibility of saving things.

2) Don't get yourself into a situation where you have to worry about panicing. (I.e. don't be stupid like me.)

Aaron

Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 10-05-2004, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: