Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
lost love

Been driving the '84 to work while the 951 awaits a hose in the mail. She's much more nimble than the turboed version. even though she's an automatic, now I remember what made me fall in love with this make of car. With Wilk's chip, she's a little more perky than the 951, before the '86 gets spooled up. The rebuilt motor is tight as an overwound watch.

Q: Is it unusuall to get a slight amount of oil smoke from the rear while above 6000 rpms? Not a lot, but enough to notice in the rearview mirror. Also, is there such a thing as too much oil pressure. I have 5 bar all the time in the '84. even when warm and at idle.

'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

944s will go through some oil at high rpm's. Don't worry about it.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The high bar at warm idle does sound strange...but I would point at the guage before anything else.

My guage fluxuates with rpms from 1.5 - 5.....Yours sounds 'pinned'.

Hey Todwic! Congrats on the 951. I had no idea your sickness was deepening.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

I agree with TCM on the sender. You might try cleaning the connection on the sending unit.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

if the sender goes bad, it will read 5 bar as soon as the car fires. Turn on the car without starting the car and see what it reads then.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
hi todwic. when pressing the loud pedal, and shifting just b4 the rev-limiter {7k},i occasionally see a slight puff of smoke. sometimes at start up too,but it goes away after a couple secs. typically, my car use's no discernable amount of oil between changes. its always at the same mark. i put it down to the age of the car, and the valve seals, which are probably on the way out, and letting a little oil seep down into the chamber. yes, i should have changed them!!
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
To cure the high oil pressure, try first a diuretic. If that doesn't work, proceed to a beta blocker. Also cutting down on rice intake will help.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by FR Wilk
Cut back on your salt intake.
Switch from mobile one to olive oil.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

reverse the oil pressure sender leads...??

ya never know

Early '85 944
Old 10-09-2004, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: