Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to drfatz
951 Transmission final drive change?

I have been searching for some time, trying to find a lower final drive ratio for my 1985.5 944. I contacted PowerHausII who are selling a 4.11 final drive, however its $895.00!!!! Thats more then a used transmission! I assume that these gears are coming out of a 1980+ 924 5 speed (which has a final of 4.11)? Does anyone know if I can just buy a junked 924 5 speed and remove the final drive??? Will this fit into an 1985.5 5 speed? Or does anyone know where else I can get a lower final drive for my car that is not $895.00? I'm really stuck here, any help would be most appreciated
-Graham

Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can take the shorter 5th out of turbos and any 1988-on 944/924S/944S and put them in a 944 tranny.

Your current box has a 5th gear with a .73 ratio (27 and 37 spline gears). The donor box will have a .83 5th gear ratio (29 and 35 spline gears). It's actually a pretty easy process since you only have to bust open the little cone housing at the rear of the diff.

Air tools and a couple of gaskets are important.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am thankful for the information, however I am not really worried about 5th gear. I am looking to make the car much faster in 1st and 2nd and thus want to change the final drive. The only car with a lower final drive ratio is the 80+ 924 5 speed. I was wondering if that final drive can simply be removed from the 924 5speed and replace my 3.88 final drive in my 1985.5 944 5 speed?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

probably the 4.11 ring & pinion set from an '80 924 or audi would fit (016/9 transaxle). longevity is the bigger question

Early '85 944
Old 10-08-2004, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I figured that longevity may be a problem, so I am looking into case hardening the set and 1st and 2nd before I put it all back together. I should say that I am also getting a degree in Physics and Materials Science and Engineering...so case hardening Steel is not be to big of a job for me
So the next question is where can I find a cheap 1980+ 924 5 speed? I have not had much luck tracking one down yet.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I would keep looking here:

http://search.ebay.com/924-transmission_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

set up a search and have eBay automatically email you when something that meets your search criteria is finally listed

add qualifiers to the search and tick the "search Title and Description"

for example, in the search box put: 924 +transmission +(80,1980,'80)

stuff between parenthesis separated with commas means: 80 or 1980 or '80

then with a minus sign (-) filter out stuff you don't want so in the search box it might say:

924 transmission +(80,1980,'80) -(Haynes,filter,filters,clutch) etc

warning ! ! it's addicting

Early '85 944
Old 10-09-2004, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by drfatz
I figured that longevity may be a problem, so I am looking into case hardening the set and 1st and 2nd before I put it all back together. I should say that I am also getting a degree in Physics and Materials Science and Engineering...so case hardening Steel is not be to big of a job for me
I wouldn't worry about the gears, the candidate here for failure is going to be the R&P. Hardening/Cryotreating the R&P will help somewhat, but the important points to ensure longevity will be:

1. Ensure that you get the proper pre-load via shims on the ring and pinion gears when assembling the unit.
2. Replace the bearings, particularly the one one the end of the input shaft. These usually have led a hard life.
3. Stay away from power-shifts and high-rpm clutch dumps.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 10-11-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So I have delt with a few transmissions in the past. However, I recently read that working on one of these 944 transmissions is a HUGE pain in the butt. Is it really that bad if I'm looking to change the syncros, and change the final drive, perhaps some bearings and seals. Time is not really the big issue..I am no real rush. The bigger problem is knowlage and tools...do I need to be a pro to work on these things and do I need an extra $3,000 in tools that I'm never going to use again?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

drfatz, this is a little OT but where do you go to school at because I am currently in MatSE at U of I and I was wondering if you owned one of those other 944s I always see driving around campus. And I have done a good deal of heat treat work for many different metals if you want to double check any processing temp/time etc.
Nate
Old 10-12-2004, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by drfatz
So I have delt with a few transmissions in the past. However, I recently read that working on one of these 944 transmissions is a HUGE pain in the butt. Is it really that bad if I'm looking to change the syncros, and change the final drive, perhaps some bearings and seals. Time is not really the big issue..I am no real rush. The bigger problem is knowlage and tools...do I need to be a pro to work on these things and do I need an extra $3,000 in tools that I'm never going to use again?
It is not a cakewalk, for certain. I answered another post about this here on the BBS today, take a look. You are going to need a shop press, some special tools, a hotplate and the 944 factory shop manual. Plus the parts, patience, and clean location to do the work.

My P-caronline Profile

Sidney Goff
Old 10-12-2004, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

NKN84944: I actually go to School at Carnegie Mellon University. However, I appreciate your offer and I will certainly keep you in mind if I decide to go ahead with the heat treatment :-P As for my 944, she is at home in storage right now :-( for a track car would not do to well in a Pittsburgh winter.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Not a big deal working on a 944 tranny like the Italian sports-fan said, you just need the tools. I'm swapping out the 5th gear in my 951 tranny for a taller one from an pre-'87 NA tranny so I can have a 10% taller 5th gear (getting sick of redlining at 176mph all the time). So I've got a shorter 5th if anyone wants one (tranny ratios availble on my 951 RacerX website).

Another thing to watch for is the thinner teeth on the NA's R&P. They seem to fail quite a bit.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

So people keep referring to these "tools" that are required to work on these transmissions. I would really like to work on the transmission myself. Getting a press or access to one is not a problem. As for a "hot-plate" is this just a normal heated plate like you would find in a lab??? I have a bunch of manuals including the Porsche shop manual and Haynes. I am rather mechanically inclined, so with a little luck will I be ok? I would prefer not to really mess up my transmission :-( However the satisfaction of truly doing something yourself is what I am after. As for the special tools what are we talking about, and how much is this going to set me back?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
If you have the shop manuals, read the volume that refers to transmissions carefully. There is are about 80pages that pertain to disassembly, repair, and assembly of the transmission for your car. In there, you will see photos and VW/Porsche/Kukko tool part#'s that you need to do this work. A lot of the VW tools are NLA, but you can cross-reference them with other tool manufacturers and get tools that will work. Off the top of my head there are pullers, separators, press tools, drifts, and press plates.

Again, read the manual, it will give you a good idea of what's involved. Decide for yourself if it is a task you can handle. I think that for an average mechanic, that has the tools, press, parts, and the time, it is very do-able. The critical part will be following the directions to the letter, especially when it pertains to establishing the pre-load on the shims for the ring and pinion gears.

My P-caronline Profile

Sidney Goff
Old 10-14-2004, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: