Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cars & Coffee Killer

Fuel Filter

I bought a new fuel filter for my '87 944 S. The thing is huge!

Anyway, (after checking the owners manual--no reference to a fuel filter) I looked under the hood and could not find where the fuel filter is, so I check the forums. I found a reference to it being in the gas tank. I pulled up the trunk carpeting and found a top access hole to the fuel pump. I can't get the plastic ring unscrewed.

1) Am I on the right track? Is the fuel filter somewhere else?

2) How do I change the thing?

Thank you!

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 10-09-2004, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i've got to do my na as well, i think the filter is under the fuel tank, not in it.....hope to get some clarity on this....hope it's not too difficult either.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The fuel filter is underneath the car. Tricky to get at without the car jack up ('tricky' meaning dunno if its really feasible).

Here's the write up from Clark's Garage on fuel filter replacement:

Tools:

Metric Wrench Set
Hose Clamp Pliers
Catch Rags
Procedure

Using hose clamp pliers, pinch the fuel hose on the inlet side of the fuel filter. If you do not have a set of hose clamp pliers, standard locking pliers will work. However, the teeth on the jaws of coventional locking pliers will damage the fuel hose. So, if conventional locking pliers are used, the hose should be wrapped with some type of protective material.

NOTE
Have rags ready to catch escaping fuel when the fuel filter is removed.

Unscrew the inlet and outlet lines from the fuel filter.
Install the new filter. Pay particular attention to the direction of flow indicated on the fuel filter.
Tighten the fuel line nuts on either end of the fuel filter.
Remove the hose clamp.
Start the engine and check the fuel filter and fuel lines for leaks.

----------------

I watched the mechanic when I had mine done a while back, and its simple enough to do yourself, provided you can get at it easily.

BTW - this was for a 944na, not sure if the S is in anyway different. YMMV

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

944 fuel filter

The fuel filter is under the rear of the car on the pass. side. If you look above your tranny you'll see it.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Unless you're luckier than I was, changing the fuel filter is going to be a real pain. The fittings can be unbelieveable tight, especially if it's the original filter. You might consider picking up some flared wrenches - you may not be able to do the job without them.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

On my early it's under the fuel tank. Second what gtroth said - not sure what "flared wrenches" are but I had to use a line wrench and a LOT of force. DON'T GET FUEL IN ANY HOLE ON YOUR BODY. Also, shampoo works well to get it off your hands (better than regular soap). gl.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cars & Coffee Killer

Thanks everyone!

I got under my car with the jack (and stands and creeper) and managed to find it. The whole process took me maybe 20 minutes. This is the first car I've owned (and this is my 5th) that didn't have the fuel filter in the engine compartment. I took the car for a spin and it made such a difference. The car drives 100% better; I don't think the filter had ever been changed before.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 10-09-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to IceBurn
how much does a brand new fuel filter go for?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
good job on the fuel filter! i noticed a marked improvement in accelleration, and smoothness of the engine after changing mine. the PO did not change it in 4 years!! they can be really tight. i had to resort to a heavy duty pipe-wrench, with a 2 foot pipe, to get it free!
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
dah, i guess this'll be my project for the day.

I still can't get my old filter to break loose.

Oh yeah, and as AFJuvat would say, make sure you don't get gas in your ears or eyes!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
IceBurn:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/944M/POR_944M_fuelij_pg4.htm#item18

$16.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
I paid $15.80CDN for mine, but I can't recall where I got it from, IIRC, it was from Partsource, but I'm not 100% sure on that. When I changed mine, it was a night-and-day difference. Although my mileage got a lot worse =)
Then again, my filter was original to the car, and about 230,000km's old!!

Buy my parts!
Old 10-10-2004, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

There is a fuel filter just past the fuel pump, and much more often neglected, a fuel filter/screen that is screwed into the fuel outlet of the tank itself. Are ya getting a whole lot of "crap" in your regular fuel filter, as noticed by draining the remaining fuel backwards out of it? Then maybe, your fuel screen in the tank is tore up, or in bad need of replacement. The beauty of changing this one, is the tank HAS to be completely empty. Part number 928.201.081.04 for screen..........928.201.187.02 for the gasket.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: