Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to cynical_bob
924 to 944

Hi.

I have just recently purchased a 1978 924, and I was wondering, is it possible to modify the exterior to look similar to a 944 at a reasonable cost?

Can this be done, and would it be worth the money? What are the options? Has anyone done this to there 924 before? Are the results any good?

Thanks

Last edited by cynical_bob; 10-10-2004 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-10-2004, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
I'm sure it's been done, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money. I would guess it would cost $2000 or so for the body panels, not counting paint. A quality full-car paint job would be another 2000, minimum. Now, you can just buy a good 944 for that money.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-10-2004, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do you think there would be a cheaper way to do it? I dont know much about body work, and i like the 944 body much more for obvious reasons, but i have heard the running costs and problems are much greater than that of the 924.

I'm going to need a repaint anyway, so I dont mind much about the paint price.

If anyone has actually done this or know of someone who has, are the results any good, or is it not worth it?
Old 10-10-2004, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
There are 924 GT kits that may be more affordable and easier.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 10-10-2004, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
you could buy a non-runner 944 and retrofit the body panels...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-10-2004, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes it can be done.
Yes it has been done.
Yes it is expensive.
Yes it is ALOT of work.

But it looks pretty cool!!!..

I am slowly getting it put back together. I now have all the glass back in, bumpers and lights on and most of the interior put together. I'll get some more current pics soon!!!
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 10-10-2004, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

How hard would it be to fit actual 944 body pannels as opposed to purpose made pannels, and do you think there would be a substantial cost saving? I'm a bit of a newbie in this area.

Wolf1, is that a 924? Whatever it is it looks good. It's got a nice paint job :P
Old 10-10-2004, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Wolf, that car looks great so far...

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 10-10-2004, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by UconnTim97
Wolf, that car looks great so far...
Thanks!! Its come a long way in the last month. Seems like just the other day it still looked like this!!
And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looks much better. Is there anything you can tell me about giving a 924 a 944 exterior look? I seem to have become obsessed with the idea. Any idea of cost savings and prices? Any web sites or posts related to this?

Last edited by cynical_bob; 10-10-2004 at 10:39 PM..
Old 10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Sheep in a wolfs skin-sell the 924 and buy a 944, it will be embarrasing not to keep up with Jap ricers.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

lol - I would take your advice, but here 944's cost a whole lot more than 924's - the only ones for sale i have found can be more than 4 times what I paid for my 924. However I do very much like the 944 body and dont really care if it is a sheep - at least it looks like a wolf.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It is well known kiwis dont mind sheep,
good luck with the project.
Russell
Old 10-11-2004, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I would have thought, if your going to spend that ammount of time and money into converting a 924 into a 944, you'd be better off just buying a 944 ?

I would have to ask

why ? if you prefer the body shape of a 44, why not just buy a 44

people will pay top dollar for a 24 in good shape, spend the money in restoring and getting it into shape and sell it for more money than 24 with a body kit will ever make.

afterall the only cheap way to do this is to buy a dead 44 and transplant the panels you need,

of course it can be done, so pls feel free to explore this, but you say at "reasonable cost"... had you said "money no object, I just want to learn or satisfy my own thing" then I'd say go for it.

sounds a bit silly to me anyway,

but hey

advice given, good luck
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Jaye
TiPEC
Thames Valley Region
Regional Officer

Accept no substitutes,

NotJustPorsche: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notjustporsche/
TiPEC: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tipec
The911Porsche: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/THE911PORSCHE/

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 10-11-2004, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cynical_bob
but i have heard the running costs and problems are much greater than that of the 924.
like any Porsche, well maintained and looked after, they are as good as gold. Bear in mind that the 24 is a pain for electrical problems due to that stupid "earth" spider that it has.

a 44 engine can not compare to a 24.

NotJustPorsche
Old 10-11-2004, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
At least it will have a cool exhaust tone-Baaa Aroooo
Old 10-11-2004, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I heard that the 944's are much more costly to repair than 924's.

Besides, this is really going to be a gradual project.

How much do you think a dead 944 would cost? I can only find live ones, and thats not much help. How difficult would it be to make the 944 pannels fit?

Thanks for the wise crack about sheep, by the way.

Last edited by cynical_bob; 10-12-2004 at 01:12 AM..
Old 10-11-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Bob,
a lot of things can go wrong buddy, you can trash a car, it could get stolen, all kinds of things. 44 engines are pretty much bullet proof. even your 24 engine can have major problems if "NOT" properly maintained.

trust me, your better off (from reading from your thread) to buy a cheap 44 as a fixer upper than this project.

in the UK you can pick up a lux from 2500 (for a real dog) upwards.

Your going to spend at least twice that and then some ! PLus the cost of a dead 44 !, you'd need a 44 with a blown engine, even then if the rest of the car is good, it'll be used for parts and still be the ammount of a really cheap 44

Just save up your money, throw into the bank earn interest the sell your 24, put that to the pot and you could get a rather nice cheap 44.

it does not help to be cheap with Porsches

HTH

Ade

Quote:
Originally posted by cynical_bob
I heard that 944 engines go wrong more often (not sure though) and that they are much more costly to repair than a 924 when they go wrong.

Besides, this is really going to be a gradual project, I could never afford a 944 at any one time.

How much do you think a dead 944 would cost? I can find live ones, and thats not much help. How difficult would it be to make 944 pannels fit?

NotJustPorsche
Old 10-12-2004, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hell, maybe you are all right. 944's are unspeakably better than 924's and I should buy one and not waste time and money... the fact that 944's are considerably more money to repair, not to mention they are very hard to come by around here dont matter.

If a good deal on a 944 came up then i would undoubtedly take it.

BUT, what I really want to know at the moment, what I am asking for help with is the technical aspect of fitting 944 pannels to a 924. How difficult is it and how much would it cost to do? Does anyone have any experience in this field?

If I was to buy a 944 specifically for body pannels, then I would buy the cheapest possible - one that is completely gutted with no engine, peeling paint, thrashed interior, anything so long as the outer pannels didn't need anything more than a minor pannel beating and paint, or a bit of rust removal. Does anyone know how much a 924 like this would cost?

Please, noone tell me that I would be better off buying a 944, but if you can answer any of my questions then please do - any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 01:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Don't worry Bob-My GGG grandmother was Maori, my grandfather and G grandfather New Zealanders, so we must like sheep somewhere along the line in our family.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: