Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lights all over the inside of my car

So the wife and I jumped in the '44 yesterday to go on some errands. I cranked her up (the car, not the wife) and there were lights everywhere. The oil light and both brake lights are on. We were in a hurry so I turned the car off and we drove her Saturn (barf).

Just a few minutes ago, I checked the oil level and brake fluid level and they are both fine. I cranked the car up again with the same results. I also noticed at this point that the oil pressure gauge is reading very low (around 1).

I looked through my Haynes manual and I am starting to think this is a DEE problem. Is this correct? How can I verify it? How much am I going to have to fork out for a replacement? Is the DEE the same as the DME? Can I sound any more like the newbie I am?

By the way, this is a 1984 944na.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Make sure you have good battery voltage before you start shelling out for a DME. Check your electrical connections, and make sure your fuses are in good shape

(yes, DME and DEE is the same thing)

If all that is good, check under your battery, if there is a hole there, you may have water seepage into your DME.

Vertex sells rebuilt DME boxes for around $500 - $600 or so. You may have luck getting a used one cheaper on Ebay or here from another user.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-11-2004, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, make sure you check all your electrical connections, before ruling out the DME. It might be something as simple as a faulty connection somewhere.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Juvy, water seepage from the battery box onto the dme doesn't apply to early cars. Your dme is under the steering column. You probably should check your main grounds too.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It wouldn't be a DME relay by chance would it? $20 sounds a lot better than $500.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've been out for a few days with a sinus infection. On Monday evening I cranked up the car and revved it about 3 times. The lights then went out, the oil pressure was good, and the car idled smoother. I was in bed Tuesday-Thursday due to illness. This morning, I cranked up the car and the lights all came on. I revved it 3 times and the lights went out and the oil pressure increased as before. I drove to breakfast with no problems. When leaving breakfast, the same thing again, except it only took revving the engine 2 times before the car acted right.

I looked everywhere I knew to look for loose connections and found none. I don't know what else to do. I don't have the funds to have the local Porsche gurus to diagnose the problem right now. Should I park it and have the wife chauffeur me around or do you think it is safe to drive?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

what oil filter are you using? perhaps it is taking a bit of time for oil pressure to build. seems that i heard an anti-drain valve (or something) is a good idea for these cars. oem oil filters have them, i use mahle...

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-15-2004, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: