Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Loser

Is bad power steering a safety hazard?

My power steering system seems to have "gone to the light." I tried retensioning the ps belt and searching for leaks to no avail. I'm guessing either the pump or the rack is toast. But honestly, I don't mind the hard steering. In fact, I think power streering is a waste of hp in a sports car. So assuming I'm fine with the extra steering effort, is there anything here that can or will break and cause a safety problem?

Old 10-12-2004, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
If it's only gone to one side, then it's the gear in the steering rack. The gear has some springs in the side of it that allow the power assist to work. The springs sometimes break or just wear out and if you can find someone with just a leaky rack they are selling and take the gear out and put it in your rack, it will work correctly again. Finding the part is hard though. Personally, I'm looking for a manual steering rack insntead for mine.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

The steering in these cars is still relatively stiff, correct? (Compared to, say, an American car.) I've only driven the 944 S I ended up buying and a 944 Turbo, and their steering was identical.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 10-12-2004, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
No its not a safty HAZARD as long as you remeber its like that, also I would keep the fluid in it just so then stay lubed
Old 10-12-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Is it permanently not working? Mine occasionally doesn't work if the car has been sat (especially in the rain) until i'm fully motional. That can catch me out a little sometimes as I have to turn sharply out of the driveway onto a main road... But if it's permanent then I agree with the above...
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 10-13-2004, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Parrothead member

My P/S adjuster broke on me, so I was without the P/S for a while
to be honest, I liked the way the car felt with out it, . Out than parking, it was fine.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered Loser

Thanks very much for the replies. I feel a lot better about it now. Franky, I agree with VINMAN. I never much liked power steering and I am just as glad to be rid of it so long as the car continues to steer. So until a manual rack magically appears for cheap on eBay, I think I'll just pretend the power steering was never there.

Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by JanusCole
Thanks very much for the replies. I feel a lot better about it now. Franky, I agree with VINMAN. I never much liked power steering and I am just as glad to be rid of it so long as the car continues to steer. So until a manual rack magically appears for cheap on eBay, I think I'll just pretend the power steering was never there.

Thanks!!
If you do find one on ebay, make certain it is from an 83 944 (not a 924 rack, they don't fit).

Also, keep in mind that you will need custom tie-rods because you have a late offset car. The factory ones for manual late-offset cars are NLA.

Once you have that worked out, you'll need a new intermediate shaft (again for an 83 944). Used ones tend to have slop/play in them. I have two bad ones in the garage. Once I get my shop press installed, I am going to see if it is reasonable to attempt to rebuild them (no one I know does this at the moment).

Good luck!

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 10-13-2004, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If it's just the pump that's bad, keep fluid in the resevoir and it won't hurt to drive it like that for a while. Mine was out for over a year and other than a higher steering effort when parking, it wasn't bad. In fact, I'm planning on ditching my ps on the 951 and going to a 931/924 rack. Before you guys tell me it won't work, I'm modifying a late xmember to accept the 924/931 rack. Since I already have a set of tie rod ends from an 86, this should work out ok.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally posted by jm951
I'm planning on ditching my ps on the 951 and going to a 931/924 rack. Before you guys tell me it won't work, I'm modifying a late xmember to accept the 924/931 rack. Since I already have a set of tie rod ends from an 86, this should work out ok.
Aw man, you can't just say that and leave us hanging!! Ya gotta explain how your modding the steering so we can try it. Got any pics of your project?
Old 10-14-2004, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
replacing your rack with a rebuilt rack isn't that expensive unless you just want the extra hp. You would only get about 1 to 2 hp. I can't imagine any more than that.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Replacing the ps unit with a manual will only pick up about 1 or 2 hp by reducing the parasitic loss. Where you gain further is taking off weight, namely the pump and associated plumbing and the manual rack weighs less too.

Pix will follow on the project, I have a fun run to do this weekend, hey we gotta have priorities.....
Old 10-15-2004, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
The whole unit weights maybe 5lbs. 10lbs with the pump?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

To paraphrase Colin Chapman "to go faster, add lightness" Every pound counts. Those subs that some kids like really add up, as does the amps, and other components. If you've never done a vehicular diet, you'd be amazed at how much stuff weighs. So, 5 here, 10 there, and reduced plumbing, less parasitic drag and presto, instant effective hp not being wasted dragging stuff around. My son's Scirocco has a GVW of right at 3k lbs, that's right, 3000. We've put it on a very severe diet and have it down to 1700 at the moment. With the original 1.8l sohc engine, it would do an honest 0-60 in 6.5sec. That's trending into 951 territory with no engine modifications, just ditching heavy stuff.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: