Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Problems With Clutch Slave/Master Cylinder Again?!?

I just drove my car to school, i just got here.

Anyways, last year like right before the winter, i drove my car and the pedal sunk to the floor, listening to someone's advice, i replaced both the clutch slave and master cylinder, as well as the metal fluild feed line between the 2 cylinders, it solved the problem, hooray..the car was back up, the pedal didnt sink anymore..

Today i drove my car to school, and whomp..the pedal fell to the ground again, i pressed and pressed but it wouldnt come back, then i pulled it outwith my foot and got it to come back out, it did..and stayed there..but there was some hesitation every time i pressed it after that.

I checked the level of the fluid in the engine bay...and it was the same as when i filled it up last year when i replaced the 2 cylinders, it's at around 75% full.

I also remember when i started the thread, that someone said they were on their 6th set of cylinders?

Anyways..why does it seem these things always fail around wintertime?

Old 10-13-2004, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Most of these parts are NOS (New Old Stock)

They are new, but have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for about 10 years.

This makes the seals weak.

Hat said, they normally last longer than 1 year. Check your cylinders and lines for any sign of leakage.

You may just have a bubble of air in the system.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-13-2004, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Zlatko, That would be me with the 6 sets of master cylinders. It sucks! The one I have in it now is almost a yr old, and its starting to feel mushy. One thing to check also, is the freeplay in the pushrod. make sure you have about a 1/8" of play so you dont have any constant pressure on the seals.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
Ditto. Most likely your parts were old to begin with after sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. Unfortunately, this in fairly common.

But, it could be that your slave bleeder nipple was not seated correctly, letting tiny pockets of air in the system over time (in your case, since last winter). This eventually caused your pedal to give way. It would explain why your reservoir still appears full.

I had this problem when I was bleeding/replacing my clutch fluid last month. No matter how much it was bled, the loose nipple kept letting air back in, making me start all over again. A visit from Eric951 and his motive bleeder solved all that in short order.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 10-13-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer909
But, it could be that your slave bleeder nipple was not seated correctly, letting tiny pockets of air in the system over time (in your case, since last winter). This eventually caused your pedal to give way. It would explain why your reservoir still appears full.

I had this problem when I was bleeding/replacing my clutch fluid last month. No matter how much it was bled, the loose nipple kept letting air back in, making me start all over again. A visit from Eric951 and his motive bleeder solved all that in short order.
Yea verily it is written "Thou shalt apply teflon tape to the threads of the bleeder screw"

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-13-2004, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: