Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stuck gear Porsche 944

Ok, sorry guys. I asked my brother what exactlly happen, but skimpy on the details. He had it in the shop because of a clutch problem(clutch cylinders was broken), and they fixed it. A week later, he was driving and the car could be popped out of SECOND gear. Sorry for the mistake, it was not stuck in second gear. Lets say it was not a porsche and just a regular old car, let say accord. Would there be an explanation on why the gear would be stuck? I have some type of problem at the top of my head that could be messed up right now, but i would like to know how would i find where it is, and how to fix it. Im just gonna cut the insurance to it, until i can actaully get it running then ill buy insurance back.

Clutch arm
Linkage
Clutch is out
and Shift Fork
If i need to rebuild the transmission then i think i would jsut drop it and sell the parts or give it away lol.

Thanks again

Old 10-13-2004, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So you have a porsche stuck in second gear, except it's not a porsche it's an Accord (Honda?) and it's not stuck in gear. But you do have 'some type of problem' with the top of your head...

I'll say!

Any chance you could post this again in English? And while you're at it let us know the model and year of your porsche (put it in your signature)...

welcome to the board
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 10-14-2004, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sorry lols i was just getting piss that night when i was posting. Didn't Know what i was saying. Haha okay, so i don't know what the problem is. But the shifter is stuck, i cant shift anywhere but rock it left and right in netural. My brother said it was stuck in second gear. A week before it broke it was in the shop for the clutch cyclinders; 2 of them. It is in fact stuck in gear haha, sorry about that. I have the 1986 Porsche 944

Thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hehe, ok some questions that might help us work this one out...

Have you tried talking to the people who did your clutch cylinders?

If the car is stuck in gear it will lurch forward when you start it. Does it lurch forward even with the clutch pedal depressed? If so the clutch is not disengaging and you should definitely talk to the shop.

If the car is stuck in gear and does not lurch forward when you start it, the clutch is not engaged - again talk to shop.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Hmm, a detail here that didn't come out on Beyond. The shifter is in neutral....
Sounds like a shift linkage to me.

Buy my parts!
Old 10-14-2004, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

I say clutch... I am in the process of doing mine.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Oh hey zero youre on this board too. I will try to start the car and see if it lurch forward, and post results. Its too late to talk to the shop that did the slave and master cylinder, it was left in my garage for a period of time. So if i tak eit to a shop it might take me 300 400 to fix again, the same cost to fix it last time. Im going to take apart the middle of the car and try to locate the linkage and see if there something wrong. Is there a picture or a blueprint someone haev that can show me which exact piece is the linkage. Thanks again
Old 10-14-2004, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Also, the gear is in second but the shifter can be rocked left and right as if it was in neutral.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Has the gear shift lever come away from the linkage? If so it will be very loose indeed, you can check by removing the surrounding leather bag...

I don't think it's too late to go back after a week. AND if it is the clutch they'll have to do it anyway so ask them to look at it for you...

Old 10-15-2004, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I took off the shift boot and it is still connected, i think its one of the other joints farther back in the car. I got stuck in gear after the week it got fixed but my brother left the car alone for maybe 4 5 months already. He decided he didnt want to deal with it anymore so im going to take it.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Most likely the bolt that goes to the transaxle selector rod lever in the back of the car has fallen out. The selector rod lever is just spinning on the tranny gear selector shaft.
There is also another bolt secured by a wire at the end of the long selector rod that runs parallel with the torque tube. Check that too.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 10-15-2004, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Is there a picture/blueprint or info on where i can find where those parts are? Im new to porsche mechincal stuff.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Still sounds as though the clutch is not disengaging. If the clutch is permanantly engaged, and the layshaft is in just the wrong orientation, you will not be able to shift into any gear. To test this, jack up the drivers sifde of the car and check the inspection port in the bell housing to see if the release fork moves when you depress the clutch.

Assuming that it doesn't, the likely cause is bad seals in the master or slave cylinder, or the slave cylinder was not clamped properly and has slid back for enough that it no longer moves the release fork.

Nigel
Old 10-15-2004, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a pic of tranny gear selector shaft.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 10-16-2004, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Awww man, the battery is dead and my battery is charger is dead gotta recharge it to recharge the car. Ill post updates when i check everything to see whats wrong. Thanks again guys Be sure to hear from me heh
Old 10-16-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Ahh man, the car is getting me so aggravated lols, i think imma sell it or part it out slowly. If anyone interested email me or pm me
Old 10-16-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I took off the boot, and i checked the joints and connections. The linkage is properly intact and no loose bolts or nut. On to checking other problems.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Just give the car to me!
Eventually it'll get so frustrating that will sound like a good idea =)

Buy my parts!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

lol talking to me on both forums

Old 10-18-2004, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: