Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'88 944 2.5 Non- Turbo - Upper Radiator Hose Help!

Hi guys. First off, forgive me, I'm a 944 IDIOT. I've had two 911's before ('75 Carrera and an '87 Cab) but I know zilcho about water cooling (grew up with a VW Bug and "An Idiot's Guide to VW Repair - ya'll remember that one?)

So anyhow, I just bought a high mileage but well maintained 88 944. She's black on black and in great shape, though the lifters do like to clatter when she's cold. Anyhow, I noticed she was dripping a little bit of anitfreeze, though I couldn't tell from where. Removed the windage tray thingy and went for a drive, finally spotted the cuprilt - upper radiator hose was being rubbed by the alternator pully.

Got a new hose from NAPA, and it looked too long, as though once I installed it it would hit the pully also, so I cut off a bit off the end. I liked to never got it hooked to the radiator, then when I did, I had taken too much off, hose woudln't reach the top of the engine I may have had the hose backward - but it matched the hose I removed from the car (which wasn't marked OEM from anywhere I could tell)

So - need I get another NAPA hose? Or do I need to order one from Pelican, or the local Porsche place (at nearly fifty bucks ) The car does have intact the middle clamp that attaches to the metal piece that holds the airbox in place BTW - think I saw that question posed during a search.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-14-2004, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The NAPA hose worked fine for me. I wrecked one by installing it in such a way that it rubbed on the alternator pulley. The trick is to push it further onto the metal tube coming from the engine. This ends up pulling it away from the alternator pulley.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ok, I'll plop down another 14 bucks on another NAPA hose then. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

there is a bracket where you can cable tie the hose to keep it off the pulley...and don't forget to bleed the cooling system after you replace that hose!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
You gotta put it on the right way, if its backwards it will hit, I had then same problem got a new hose and fliped it and it works fine
Old 10-17-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do any of you remember if the weird little bend goes on the radiator side or the engine block side?

I got a new hose and have it on, but can't as of yet get that stupid bracket back on it (I will, just got back from Lowe's with a longer bolt) but now I have another question?

I think that it will work, however because of the bend at the radiator, the sides of the hose are a little bit indented, as though it is being bent a bit too far. Will this hurt anything, or will this "correct" itself once the system gets under pressure?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Estep
I think that it will work, however because of the bend at the radiator, the sides of the hose are a little bit indented, as though it is being bent a bit too far. Will this hurt anything, or will this "correct" itself once the system gets under pressure?
If by bent you mean constricted, I'd reccommend against it. That was the problem I encountered in swapping out radiator hoses (upper, lower and bypass to waterpump) when I bought my 944 back in july. The kink in the (bypass) hose caused a pressure buildup, and when she let go, boy did she let go. Cracked the radiator ($219 for new radiator and 2 hrs labor).

Not sure about the NAPA hoses. I bought mine from Foriegn Auto Parts.. OEM.. All 3 ran around $90..

'94 Oldsmobile 88 Royale (winter beater)

Its not what you drive, its what drives you.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

I'll bet pelican and / or vertex are cheaper than NAPA and superior quality / fit

Old 10-18-2004, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: