Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Engine Swap Possibilities

So, how difficult and how much money/time to get a 968 engine into a 944? Is it worth it? Or just buy an S2 or get an S2 conversion? What do you guys think?

Old 10-14-2004, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
Its been done, check rennlist out I know some one has done it there, I hear its a sweet upgrade but the wiring is a *****, other then that Im not sure if its a direct drop in or not
Old 10-14-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There's a guy running around in Arizona with what he calls a 944S3. A 944 with 968 engine. I had a chance to check it out when he came out for a gathering in San Diego. Darn fast car! I would place it somewhere in between a stock Turbo and TurboS in speed. But it was lighter so the handling and steering-response was incredible!

Yah, the wiring harness is a pain because you gotta splice the 968 engine-harness into the 944 dash and instruments. Matt Olde on Rennlist just finished such a project about a month ago but he couldn't get the car to start. Something to do with the alarm or some such. I'm still not sure if he's got it running yet.

Remember, you need more than just the 968 engine. You'll need the intake with MAF-sensor, exhaust, wiring-harness and DME computer. You'll also need a larger fuel-pump, fuel-rail, FPR and injectors. Tricky part is also deciding how to hook up the drivetrain. Best to get the entire 968 bellhousing with quick-change clutch, shorter torque-tube and 6-speed tranny.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

www.944968.com

Waste of time.

I looked into all these "engine swap" and power upgrade options..

The car isnt worth the money put into it.

You'd have to spend 2-3 times the value of the car to get anything remotely fast.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There is P car speciality shop here in Ft. Lauderdale installing brand new Corvette plants (not sure what size...not Z06 engine tho) into 944 donor cars. The package inlcudes all new suspension and brake upgrade. Overall balance of the car is unaffected and these things are VERY quick! Cost is about $10,000 for the whole thing. A 944S is the ideal donor car. The mechanic's name is Mike Gokey, a Porsche wizard. The only down side, is it is not longer a "pure" Porsche. I understand he has done about 6 cars so far and has orders for more.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by DannoXYZ

Remember, you need more than just the 968 engine. You'll need the intake with MAF-sensor, exhaust, wiring-harness and DME computer. You'll also need a larger fuel-pump, fuel-rail, FPR and injectors. Tricky part is also deciding how to hook up the drivetrain. Best to get the entire 968 bellhousing with quick-change clutch, shorter torque-tube and 6-speed tranny.
Definetly what Danno said above. It's doubtful that a standard N/A trans is going to last long with 100hp more than was originally intended to be put thru it. If the N/A is a late (post 85) car, you will lose the speedo/odo reading with the 968 trans, unless the N/A has ABS (the 968 takes it's readings from the ABS and not a pulse from the transaxle).

I will be doing this swap in the future once funds are available. I personally will be using a beefed up version of a late (88/89) N/A trans or an S2 trans.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zlatko

www.944968.com

Waste of time.

I looked into all these "engine swap" and power upgrade options..

The car isnt worth the money put into it.

You'd have to spend 2-3 times the value of the car to get anything remotely fast.

I see your point (sorta), but the guys that did the swap on the website you quoted above did it for a specific reason. Where they live, they are taxed heavily on new cars, both at purchase and yearly for registration. It made more sense to do what they did.

If you are handy, and smart about the way you purchase the parts, this really is a worthwhile way to make something *special*.

In the case of my car, 240 normally aspirated Hp in a car that weighs 2500lbs would be very nice to have indeed. YMMV

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 10-29-2004, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

FWIW, I got a chance to drive a 968-powered 944NA a couple years ago when ... forgot his name... came out from AZ for a SoCal gathering. WOW, that car was FAST. Definitely faster than a 968, somewhere beween a Turbo and TurboS in speed..

Cost-effectiveness for the speed should definitely NOT be a reason for this upgrade. You'd have to want to have something unique and must enjoy a technical challenge and be good with tools, cutting & welding as needed.

If all you want is a faster 944, then the best bang for the buck is to sell the 944 and buy a 951. Prices of '86 951s have dropped below $5000 this year, so for $3000 (with sale of 944NA), you can have a factory car, no upgrade hassles, no unknown Frankenstein mods...
Old 10-29-2004, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DannoXYZ
Matt Olde...just finished such a project...not sure if he's got it running yet.
...Tricky part is also deciding how to hook up the drivetrain
Matt got it running...had a wire in the wrong place

He used an S (or S2) flywheel with his existing torquetube & transaxle...also needed to substitute a 968 throttle cable

Early '85 944
Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Matt's web site that details his conversion is:

www.944s3.com

Old 10-31-2004, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: