Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to pokey
Cam 180 degrees off?

I finally got a little bit of time to wrench on my own toys, and I am wondering if I could have installed the cam 180 degrees off when I put her all back together? What would happen if I did? To refresh your memories, I bought the car with a broken timing belt and bent valves. I had the valves done, and put the engine back together. I'm getting spark and fuel (and signal to the injectors), but the beast won't start. I found a rip in the intake boot, and replaced it. Still no start. Any ideas?
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 10-15-2004, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

start with something simple like the set screw that hold the rotor in place or the order you put the spark plug wires back on...see:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/graphics/distcap1.gif

did you use "Clark's Shop Manual"?

http://www.clarks-garage.com

Early '85 944
Old 10-15-2004, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

"and I am wondering if I could have installed the cam 180 degrees off when I put her all back together? What would happen if I did?"

The cam runs at 1/2-speed of the crank. Turn the engine over one full turn and the cam will be in the right orientation.

Verify #1 cylinder is at TDC by putting a pencil or chopstick down the #1 spark-plug hole as you're turning the engine. Then check TDC of the crank with the notch on the bottom of the bell-housing.

Then verify that the distributor rotor is pointed to #1 cylinder. There should be TWO bolts that holds the rotor to the front of the cam. A lot of people forget that 2nd bolt and the rotor ends up spinning so that it's aimed somewhere else when the spark fires.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Been througth all of that. Rotor is tight, everything lines up at tdc. Getting spark at the plugs, noid light flashes, I even pulled the fuel rail and watched the injectors spray. This is bizzare. I've got 150 psi compression across the board (5 psi), hot spark, and fuel. It SHOULD run, right? But I don't even get a back fire or stumble, nothing, nada.
1955 BMW R69
Old 10-15-2004, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
It sounds rather like spark timing to me.
150psi sounds good enough. Since you have fuel, even if the fuel timing was wrong or something, it should still start.
I had the firing order out on my car. It would turn over endlessly, not even start to catch. I was worried I had something seriously wrong.

Buy my parts!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'll double check, Thanks.
1955 BMW R69
Old 10-17-2004, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: