Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

I love the smell of gasoline in the morning

I woke up in bed smelling gas. I walked downstairs, it was stronger. Hmmm....

I walk to the garage, there is the car, and there is the HUGE puddle of gas under the tank. What the HELL happened? Dammit dammit dammit. I am now donning my pseudo-mechanic jumpsuit and going out there with the jack and the camera to investigate. You can be sure this will turn into some type of ridiculous saga that requires the assistance of hundreds of 944 owners all across the country. Everyone get ready, its gonna be a party tonight. Woo-hoo.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
Loose clamp? Don't take pictures till you have ventilated the garage well! No sparkey, no lights, or go BOOM!
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 10-15-2004, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I'm heading out there now. I can watchi it come out in spurts. Its bad. The garage door has been open all night, so at least thats good. I'm gonna turn on a big fan too to keep myself from passing out. or enjoying it too much

Thanks for the advice, I'll be back sooon.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
mouse chew through the line?
Old 10-15-2004, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I probably won't have pictures till tonight now, cause it seems I left the camera in the woman's car.

So... I jacked it up and took a look under there.
Observations-

1) Once I jacked up the right side, the leaking stopped.
2) No gas anywhere near the fuel filter or the junk going to and from it.
3) No gas coming from the spot where the hose thingy goes into the tank.
4) There is a cover thing that is foam backed and it goes across the entire bottom of the tank. It seems to ME like the gas is coming from somewhere under there. All the foam stuff is totally soaked with gas. Can I remove this and check for stuff?

Is it possible that the tank has a hole or something?!? I was really hoping I had screwed un something with the fuel filter, but like I said that area is bone dry, as are all of the hoses, as far as I can tell.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
sorry to say, but replacing the tank isn't fun. Removing that requires removing the transaxle and possibly the torque tube.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Custom User Title

One other interesting note- I was almost out of gas, and when I filled it up 2 days ago, I smelled gas for awhile. What the hell am I supposed to do?
Old 10-15-2004, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I had a very similar problem a few years ago. Turned out to be a worn hose near the fuel filter. While changing it out, I experienced a new definition of pain as a drop of gasoline hit my eyeball. Luckily, this car was designed with the gas tank OPPOSITE of the exhaust. Otherwise, we'd have problems.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning; smells like.............................victory."
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi

Last edited by Panzer909; 10-15-2004 at 01:39 PM..
Old 10-15-2004, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Custom User Title

So I decided to lower the car back down (I had jacked up the right side) and see if the leak would start again, and boy did it ever. Gas poured out for like 2 minutes. Now its like a trickle again. I sill can't tell where it is originating. It seems to be all exiting at one point, it looks like its leaking from under that secondary plate thingy, and under that metal strap thingy. The hoses are still all dry to the touch, at least the ones I know about. I really need to get pics for this. Keep the advice coming... cause now I NEED the car for work, so I don't have the luxury of time.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
My only words of wisdom borrowed from my TR-6 experience is to make sure you don't mistake a low point (of a leak) from the actual source. But you probably knew that already. Get a buddy to jack the car up/down a bit while you take a flashlight and probe for the source of the leak. Just be VERY careful that the drops don't come anywhere near the light. Automotive gasoline has a nasty habit of igniting just by looking at it the wrong way........
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 10-15-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Good point. Considering that I noticed the smell after having the tank filled two days ago, that would support the leak being at a higher point. Also, the leak stopping when I jack the car from the right would support the leak being on the upper righthand portion of the tank. So I need to look at diagrams and figure out what is up there.

I'm concerned about burning up too. I set up a box fan to keep the garage well ventilated, and I left the garage door open as well. I am keeping my light as far away as possible. I will be stopping for now until I get my camera later this evening to get a diagnosis from yall. Unfortunately, I am sensing a large mechanic bill in the near future, as I don't know if this will exceed my decidedly limited capabilities.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I'm also looking through the PET diagrams to get an idea of what to look for. If anyone wants to describe some stuff to be in terms of PET part #s you would rock. Oooh. yeah.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pokey
Fuel filler line might have cracked. That happened on my brothers Range Rover a few weeks ago. Pain in the ear to fix. Literaly. I got a stream of gas that ran down my arm and into my ear (I was laying on my side). That hurt worse than when I ripped a toe nail out (whole 'nuther story).
1955 BMW R69
1999 Range Rover Callaway #011 of 220 (Yeah, as in Callaway Corvette...)
Old 10-15-2004, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Custom User Title

If you're not joking, then no, I don't have enough space for all that gas. I just filled it! If you are joking, stop tricking me!

Should I accept defeat and go to the shop?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

last week when i took out the fuel sending unit to clean all the connections i noticed that the tank was almost full at that point and i only had half a tank full. i would check the gaket on the sending unit...lifting the right side of the tank would certainly move the gas over and away from the sending unit.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

Please tell us that your gas water heater or furnace is not anywhere out there. Boston is not known for gas heaters, I know, but you'd be surprised at the things that make sparks. Even fans like the one you are using.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Custom User Title

No furnace anywhere nearby . I figure its gotta be pretty safe, having the door wide open and all.

So about this sending unit- what is the part number for it? I am trying to locate it on the diagrams and I haven't found anything yet. Also, how the heck do I get at all of these things? It seems like they are all at the top of the gas tank or inside of it, do I need to remove the tank to even investigate?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Custom User Title

What the hell am I supposed to do here?!?! I can't see anything... can I take off my fender or something?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Custom User Title

update

So I got bold. I unscrewed the strap thing that goes around the tank. This allowed me to peek under the black plastic under-cover thingy and verify that:

1) The leak is from somewhere under there.
2) There is a canister thingy under the plastic cover with some hoses.

I'm gonna dry things up in there and try to pinpoint the exact source of the leak. If this information is enlightening to anyone, let me know. Sorry for being cranky-
Old 10-16-2004, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Yay- pics!

Thoughts? Parts I should order? Chastize me?
Old 10-16-2004, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: