Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
944 in snow/winter: what to expect?

Hi guys, i intend to use my 944 in winter/snow conditions, and leave my 911 in the garage..... What to expect from driving the 944 in the snow/cold? First thing: ill get winter tires, but still?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
It will be fine......

I drive mine throughout the winter...

The only things that stop me are -20 celcius temps (cold starts) and more than 3-6 inches of snow.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 10-15-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Make sure you buy four tires, just the rears will be diabolical. (ask me how I know. . .)
95 968 Cab, Speed Yellow, Kinesis Supercups, Promax chip, Big Reds, SS brake lines, 5/35 brake bias valve, H&R sport springs, mo30 sway bars, LSD, Brey Krause control arm brace, Dynatech billet strut brace, Cargraphic 100 cell cat and ss exhaust, Club Sport steering wheel, short shift, sport seats
Old 10-15-2004, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

i have done two winters in my 944 in utah... last winter was nuts for snow. i tell anyone that will listen, it is the best damn car i've had for the snow, minus my wife's discovery. i took it to a parking lot with about 6 inches of snow and it was difficult to do donuts. i kid you not, it just goes in the snow. i have to exercise judgement on corners/curves, but i end up passing front wheel drive vehicles all the time. i love it!

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-15-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The car is pretty stable on ice and snow if you have a good set of winter tires. I use Blizzaks and 3 sand bags over the back axle. Also, I plug it in on colder nights (i.e.: below -20C or -4F), and I switch to a lighter oil 10W30 from 20W50.

'81 911SC Targa
Old 10-16-2004, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
You'll be fine. It is a rear-wheel drive car so use some caution of course, but 944s handle harsh weather like a tank (hence my handle name). I drive mine year-round without major drama.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 10-16-2004, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
I must drive a different car:-P Mine gets skittish in rain quite easily.

Might just be the shoes I wear though..

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 10-16-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It's the worst when your shoes are wet and your foot keeps slipping off the clutch... Especially when you're near redline :-\
Old 10-16-2004, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
Quote:
I must drive a different car:-P Mine gets skittish in rain quite easily.

Might just be the shoes I wear though..
Hmm, putting your lead shoes on before you get in, no?

I drive my 944 year round.
Put winter tires on it, and it's one of the most stable winter cars I've ever driven. It's so predictable!

Just remember to get a damn block heater. A circulating coolant heater is the best. I found when it hits around -40, that the lower rad hose heaters just don't cut it. They can't even keep the engine above -20c.

Oh yeah, synthetic oil is another good idea through the winter (in case you don't already run synthetic).

Buy my parts!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
Mine handles the Nebraska winters really well. We don't get a ton of snow, but when we do I've never had a problem. I live on a gravel road that gets plowed by this guy who really doesn't have a clue what he's doing... So, I end up with 3" of snow on the ground on the gravel road, which gets compacted into a nice sheet of glass, then on the highway, the doofus skims everything except this perfect layer of ice... Still, the 944 doesn't have much problem with it.

Slippery shoes are about the biggest problem I get. I keep a pair of old wrestling shoes in the car for when it gets bad... they're the best for driving.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

holy schnizzit! i am a senior member... um, i just said member...

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 10-16-2004, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
well its good to know these things are good in the snow. what i was going to do is park the rx7 for the winter because it has rust and drive my 24

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: