Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Clutch not disengaging sometimes

My son's 951 is having intermittent problems with the clutch not disengaging. The peddle moves, and feels right, but you can't shift into gear without turning off the engine. It acts like the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. I know this is a common thing to happen if the car is stored for a long time, but this is a daily driver.
Sometimes it fixes itself, and does not happen for weeks.

Has anyone had problems like this, and have a fix short of replacing clutch? Maybe spraying something into the access hole?

Old 10-16-2004, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
bleed the clutch line first. Check under the dash too to see if the master is leaking..if it is that is one of the problems because it will push the fluid out of the crack or the leaky hole instead of pushing the throwout bearing fork.

Jack the car up and pull the inspection cover off where the flywheel is (on the driverside) and have your son press on the clutch pedal. I think the Haynes or the Chiltons has specs on how far the throwout bearing fork is supposed to move and if it doesnt meet the minimum amount, start checking the slave cylinder to see if its leaking, check the lines and fittings to make sure they are all tight and not leaking either, and check the master.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

If it were the rubber center clutch I would say that it was likely that the center grenaded and it was binding on the shaft which would prevent disengagement.

That shouldn't happen with your 951's spring-centered clutch, you'd have to really abuse it to have the spring-center get wonky and cause binding. Still, it's possible that the shaft has some corrosion or something on it and that's causing the clutch to bind. I know this isn't really practical, but you could try pulling the clutch and lubricating the splined shaft.

Of course, at this point is sounds like you'll have to pull it apart to check unless you find that it is the slave or master cylinder.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 10-16-2004, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

I would say its one of the small springs the 951 has in additon to the 4 main springs... take the starter off and see if one falls out...
Old 10-17-2004, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

952 nailed it.
We finally got the time to pull the clutch today, and it was indeed one of the small springs. Several were broken, and one was turned sideways, and dragging.
The new clutch we got is a "cup" style with only the large springs.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Ahhh I love nailing it!

Good choice of clutch too...

Did you get a new pressure plate?

Old 11-13-2004, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: