Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I checked that $8000 968 out today..

Holy jesus... driving that car was a life altering experience...

The good:

Despite the problems it had, that was an absolutely amazing car.. The interior looked spotless... And if you've ever seen the Top Gear Carrera GT video.. that's basically what it was like.. I stepped on the gas, and I knew it.. and the sound... the sound of the engine and the exhaust is marvelous. An incredible car, despite the problems...

The bad:
No maitenence records... The owner seemed to have no worries about starting it up and letting me drive it, but I'd want to do belts before I took it on the road for any length.

Clutch was about to go.. I almost stalled it at a stop sign, and when I got it back to the dealership, he DID stall it. So there's another $900 for parts.

The motor was making a strange knocking sound, not sure what that could be, also the starter was making funky sounds too.

There was some somewhat major body damage too.. I mean, mostly minor dents here and there, but there's a large one on the front drivers side panel, bad enough to inhibit the light from popping up.

That's really all I can think of, and I didn't really look at it long and hard. But wow.. other than those problems, that was just... mind blowing. The asking price is down to $7000 right now, I'm considering getting a PPI on it and see what kind of major problem is lurking around, that knocking noise frightens me... If it comes out to be decent, and I can find a front drivers side quarter panel, I would seriously think about getting some money together and buying it.. I would have to sell my 944, which I don't really want to do and I would miss it... but the 968 is.... just.... wow.

edit: By the way, it has 154xxx miles on it, good tires, good brakes(needs pads though)

Old 10-16-2004, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if you decide to sell your 944, send me a PM
Old 10-16-2004, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't know - doesn't $7K still seem a bit steep for a 968 that's been beat to hel!? Maybe not. Cab?
Old 10-16-2004, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
The body damage and the clutch are pretty huge items on a 968 from what I hear. I don't blame you at all for wanting one. Who knows it might be a good buy if you can get them a little lower.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 10-16-2004, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mein Gott!

Garage
I've looked at cars with traces of "minor" past body damage. Nine times out of ten it usually led to a bigger, more serious issue.

No work history whatsoever? I'd be cautious. The fact that the owner was so carefree about throwing you the keys doesn't mean a damn thing.
1972 Triumph TR6 - 100% trouble free between breakdowns
2003 BMW 325xi
Old 10-16-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

$7k is a bit steep for it, and I wouldn't give him that.. I'd give him probably like $5.5, and that's after a thorough PPI and a much more thorough test drive, I only took it out for about 10 minutes.

It's not a cab.

I'm most likely not going to buy it, I priced out everything it needs and the actual cost after everything would be like 9 or 10 thousand, and I can't swing that.. but oh my god that was probably the most amazing car I've ever driven..
Old 10-16-2004, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
I'd never buy a car that required a clutch; it's pure hell on these cars. I think there MAY have been an improvement made on the 968, but if it's anything like on the 924/944/951/S/S2 it's pure hell. Run away.

Black Cars Matter
Old 10-17-2004, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Re: I checked that $8000 968 out today..

Quote:
Originally posted by Clowd
..I stepped on the gas, and I knew it..
Before you decide for or against this car...go find a MKIII turbo Supra with some minor modding (hell, or even stock), and drive it. It's a different experience than the Porsche but you can pick up a spotless 300~350rwhp MKIII Turbo with new/rebuilt everything for less than that 968...which will give you problems I guaruntee it.

If you just want to know what it's like to GO when you hit the peddel...there's a lot better cars for it...and, from your description, they're gonna be a lot better than a beat 968.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 10-17-2004, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice.

It's basically impossible for me to buy it anyway though, I'd have to sell both my cars and take a loan to buy it and as amazing as that car was, I'm just not going to do that..

But wow, I want to drive it again.

Edit: By the way, what year supra would you suggest?

Last edited by Clowd; 10-17-2004 at 06:48 PM..
Old 10-17-2004, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I'd never buy a car that required a clutch; it's pure hell on these cars. I think there MAY have been an improvement made on the 968, but if it's anything like on the 924/944/951/S/S2 it's pure hell. Run away.
Due to the different construction of the bellhousing and the torque tube on the 968, a clutch replacement in a 968 is a lot less time (and thus labor costs) compared to a 944 series car.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 10-18-2004, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
I agree that staying away from this is a good idea. The knock is probbaly a rod knowcking - meaning an engine rebuild. The other problems are pretty major too. It'd be a good track beast though.
The Supra with the 7mgte motor are awesome cars and you can get 400HP without a problem. It's a good motor and easy to mod.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yes, the knocking sound is my main concern..

But regardless, if any of you decided to buy this car, what would you give him for it?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Makenzie71 Send a message via Yahoo to Makenzie71
Beat body, funny sound makin engine, worn clutch, etc...

If I were hell-bent on getting THAT car (I've been there, so if you're considering it I know your frame of mind), I would offer $3500. Only an enthusiast would buy a 968, and there's only two kinds of car enthusiasts:

Variety 1: Has lots of money.

Variety 2: Has no money.

Variety one will only buy mint or high quality goods. Variety two will bottom feed when necessary. I'm going to assume you're variety two (considering you're asking about a questionable porsche ), and knowing that and going by what you've given us in the description I have to advise you to ONLY spend what you can easily return if you parted the car out.

the "baby" that comes first...
Old 10-19-2004, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

$5000 taking into account all repairs.

These cars are really worth alot........big project though.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Makenzie71
Beat body, funny sound makin engine, worn clutch, etc...

If I were hell-bent on getting THAT car (I've been there, so if you're considering it I know your frame of mind), I would offer $3500. Only an enthusiast would buy a 968, and there's only two kinds of car enthusiasts:

Variety 1: Has lots of money.

Variety 2: Has no money.

Variety one will only buy mint or high quality goods. Variety two will bottom feed when necessary. I'm going to assume you're variety two (considering you're asking about a questionable porsche ), and knowing that and going by what you've given us in the description I have to advise you to ONLY spend what you can easily return if you parted the car out.
While I'm not quite hell-bent on it (YET) I would like it very much.. it was such an amazingly fun car... In the 944, there's certain places in the RPM band where the car pulls great, but in the 968 it was like this all the time, times two. So much fun... engine/exhaust sounds so good, too.

I appreciate the advice and will definitely take it into consideration (looking up parts on ebay right now actually)

As for the car being a big project.. that's not really a concern of mine, I'm going to be working on a car this winter, it's just a matter of what car it's going to be. The clutch in my 944 is on the way out as well so that's going to have to get done, among a couple of other projects.

I need to find a good PPI place around here, someone who knows Porsches...

Oh and also, "worn clutch" is an understatement, this clutch was so bad that the dealer stalled it after I took it for a spin
Old 10-20-2004, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
least common denominator

IHMO

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!

Most likely when you add up all the time and money (your time is worth something right?) you could have bought a nice high miles 968.

Again just my two cents but I looked at a guards red/black 968 in LIKE NEW condition, all service at dealer, garaged at home and at work, ran, looked, smelled like new for $15,000.

I have also heard because of the low production run the 969 body parts are hard to find. I may be wrong though I have no first hand experience.

Oh and I have looked at a few high miles (aprox.150K) 968's in the $12,000 range that ran well and need no bodywork.

Blackfoot had a sweet black/tan 968 for a very resonable price, it may still be around.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

968 engine parts can be very expensive, considering the low production quantities. Same with body parts. Used body parts would be your best bet. Give German Auto Dismantlers a call. They can give you an price on body parts.

As far as the clutch is concerned, if it stalls, that sounds to me like it's not disengaging properly. Could be something as simple as a bad master or slave cylinder(easy to change), or a bad throwout bearing (not very easy to change). Usually clutches start slipping when they're worn out.

as long as the dents didn't do any structural damage to the frame. it's probably ok. You need someone who is very familiar with the 968 to determine whether there is any frame damage.

Personally, i would probably consider picking up this car as a project, but not for $8K. I bought a 968 last november with a broken timing chain tensioner (8 bent valves, and 2 damaged cams), and it was my winter project. It had also been hit in the past, and repaired already. I paid $5200 for it.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 10-20-2004, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: