Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
wheel vibration between 60 and 80 mph

ok, this is the main thing that has been keeping me from driving my car. after about 20 min it just hurts to drive. besides alignment, wheel balance, warped rims or bad tires what would cause this? also when the car is still the pedals vibrate a lot too. what do ya think it is?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

motor mounts?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This would be a long shot, and it doesn't account for the vibration at idle, but I've read that people sometimes have found water inside the tire that causes mysterious symptoms. It comes from airing up with humid compressed air which precipitates out to the water form.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
I would get your tires balanced first to see if that fixes it.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
well ive done all of what i listed above... including balancing them.

would a bent tie rod cause it? i looked on pelicans site but only saw tie rod ends, are thee the same thing?

and if there was water in there how do you get it out?

and i have new motor mounts, but im not sure about transmission mounts.

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You say it vibrates at idle - are you saying that your vibration is related to engine speed and not road speed ??

Just a thought, have you checked the timing of your balance shafts ??
Old 10-17-2004, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

what i mean is in addition to the vibrating while driving when it is stopped i get a lot of pedal vibration. but the timing and balance belts should be good, just had them changed by vertex not too long ago. i will probably need them retensioned soon, anyone know of a place in cinci that does them?

Old 10-17-2004, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
DOes the engine run good???? A bent tie rod would not cause this, Have you check wheel bearings??? WHat kinda engine mounts did you use??? What kinda clutch are you running old or new style??? How good is the vertex place you had the belts done at???
Old 10-17-2004, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

In regard to the water in the tire problem, you just have to dismount the tire, swab out the water and dry it real good, put the tire back on and you're in business. Again, its probably a remote possibility but if all other solutions fail.................
Old 10-17-2004, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

engine runs great, wheel bearings were replaced 20000 miles ago, not sure on which mounts, but they were replaced with wheel bearings. clutch i have NO clue on. out of all the reciepts that i got with the car, and there were a ton, there isnt a clutch anywhere. the clutch feels great, but there is something wrong with it that i havent had a chance/money to check. every once and a while when i left the clutch out i hear what sounds like a metal plate hitting another metal plate. and when i drive well over the speed limit some times i smell something like burning rubber. my guess with the clutch is i have the rubber kind and the rubber = gone.

but how would that make the car vibrate between only 60 and 80?

Old 10-17-2004, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe the missing rubber peaces are making the clutch unbalanced, could be at around 60-80 miph is just the right speeed to feel it. Not sure just a guess
Old 10-17-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

scheistermeister:

You still didn't answer the question.

IS THE VIBRATION RELATIVE TO ENGINE SPEED, OR ROAD SPEED ONLY ?

Let me put that another way - can you make it vibrate by sitting in neutral, and slowly bringing the revs up to a certain point?

Or do you get the vibration ONLY if you are driving it ?

You say you just had the belts changed, it is possible to get a balance shaft out of time, and then it will vibrate VERY badly, over a broad range............

Last edited by GUMBALL; 10-17-2004 at 08:55 PM..
Old 10-17-2004, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

sorry, i thought i explained it better before but ill try again.

when i am sitting still in neutral idling the pedals and shifter vibrate.

then the other vibration is from the steering wheel when im driving between 60-80mph

Old 10-18-2004, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

scheistermeister:

When the car is sitting in neutral, at what RPM is the vibration at its worst? does it change thru the rev. range?

The 60-80 mph vibration, is it ONLY in the steering wheel, or do you feel it in the whole car? if so, where (in the car ) is it worst?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
with the engine RPM at that speed (3000ish) it could be a balance shaft 180 degrees out if you've had any engine work lately... that would be IF THE ENGINE VEBRATES A LOT ON THE HIGHER END

Now, it could be bad motor mounts too. The mounts often go bad and they just need replaced. This would be a lot less dependant on engine speed and vibrate all of the time instead, but not quite as bad of a vibration.

Last edited by Rmills944; 10-18-2004 at 07:56 AM..
Old 10-18-2004, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If the vibration is constant at that speed regardless of which gear you are in, then it should be tire/suspension related. Could the steeringwheel shake be caused by bad ball joints?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

vibration is just bad at idle, if i rev it it doesnt vibrate.

from 60-80 i would say pretty much the whole car shakes, but worst at the steering wheels.

i had all the wheels balanced twice, new michellen tires, alighned twice and the balance and alignment were done by different shops.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
Do you have the stick on wheel weights on the innner side of the tire? They can come off pretty quick after installation. I had mine need to be rebalanced a few weeks after it was done the first time. When the tire balance was off, I had the same steering wheel vibration at highway speeds.

Are there a lot of potholes, etc in your area? The mechanic said that is what caused my problems.

Just a though...hope this helps

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

A few more thoughts:

-how long have you owned the car / or, how long have you had this problem?

-Your post says "slotted rotors", does the brake pedal pulsate when you brake?

-have you checked if a wheel is out of round?...both inner and outer edge?

-when you had the alignment done, did they check for worn or damaged parts?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

The wheel bearings may have been changed 20K miles ago, but they may have looosened up. Check them by jacking up the front and grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 O'clock and push on the bottom while you pull on the top and vice versa. You should feel no movement at all. If there is some movement, you've probably found the problem. Good Luck!

-CKKrause

'67 912-Future Vintage Racer
Old 10-18-2004, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: