Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
Tranny Gremlins

Well, the weather is starting to get quite cold up here at night, and latley in the morning the car has a hard time getting into gear when cold. However once ive been driving it around some it frees up and drives fine. Do I have the wrong weight gear oil in it perhaps? Im pretty sure my friend filled it with 80w-90, but I have to ask him tomorrow if he put 120w in. It just does not go into gear at all and I have to fiddle around between 3rd and 4th to get it to slip into 1st. Then its double clutch into 2nd to keep from grinding.

Also, Im curious to how a car drives with no LSD, and with. Its been pouring here for about 3-4 hours now, and there is a parking lot down by my house with maybe one or two light poles off in the corner. Its always deserted at anytime of the day or night, so I went out and tried to replicate my spin a few months ago, but it just wouldnt do it (maybe me being scared to get it to 30 in a huge parkin lot and yankin the wheel). But if I start off in first and turn 180 degrees and slowly feed it gas, the car will kick the rear end out and I can hold it there for a good bit and drift it.

The only thing I dont get is if the car had no LSD, wouldnt the inside tire just light up and the car wouldnt spin at all? Im pretty sure mine doesnt have one, because if you spin one wheel, the other wheel goes in the opposite direction. If my memory serves me correctly, if you have LSD, both wheels will turn the same way...am I right on this?

I tried drifting my friends stock 240sx with no LSD years ago, and it would just plow heavily or if you tried to pull a u turn and hit the gas, it would try to bring the back out then just catch itself and smoke one tire and hang on the rev limiter...

Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Re: Tranny Gremlins

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebullet
Well, the weather is starting to get quite cold up here at night, and latley in the morning the car has a hard time getting into gear when cold. However once ive been driving it around some it frees up and drives fine. Do I have the wrong weight gear oil in it perhaps? Im pretty sure my friend filled it with 80w-90, but I have to ask him tomorrow if he put 120w in. It just does not go into gear at all and I have to fiddle around between 3rd and 4th to get it to slip into 1st. Then its double clutch into 2nd to keep from grinding.
hey Blue,
I would (with reservations) say that it is normal. The first few gear changes may be notchy. BUt after its warmed up it should be ok. NOW,

1) Trans Oil: pls make sure if you have no proof of the oil being replaced that you do so, use the correct weight of oil AS SUGGESTED in your handbook. DO NOT be tempted to use anything else. Gear oil does not only lubricate it protects the teeth and gears, so this is very important. DO a complete drain and refil (I noticed a difference straight away.

2) If you do 1, DO NOT overfill, this is worse than not having enough. the correct method is somthing similar to putting your finger into the sump plug and being able to feel the oil, as opposed to filling it till it overflows as most other makes of car.

3) clutch: its not likly its the clutch, but I would not discount it. USUALLY if the clutch is on its way out. it gets very notchy to engage gears when its warm, NOT cold.

HTH

and if you need any further assistance, don't hessitate to holla back

Ade

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 10-19-2004, 01:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

well i just replaced the clutch a month or so ago...so I know that isnt the problem. I had the tranny fluid first changed as soon as I bought the car back in late july/august. My friend owns a lube shop and Ive brought all my shop cars to him as well as my own (his Eclipse gets worked on by us). He knows his stuff compared to other places ive heard about/seen and the horror stories. I also save all my reciepts, as the previous owner never saved anything and if I do sell the car I want the next owner to know I was meticulous about maintenance.

Heck the car was shifted up and down the power band last saturday, so maybe a tranny flush should be in order. Prolly this weekend I'll have it done.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

hi blue,
I'm sure all is as you say, but I see too many stories where things have supposed to be done and not. but if we give the benefit of the doubt,

1) its prolly not the clutch (that was a last resort)
2) you must make sure that the correct weight and quality oil is used. Thats why I do alot of my own work. Its really not difficult to do it yourself. I can give you a procedure.

I would not do a oil flush, you simply dont need to. I would drain and refill the oil myself.

this SHOULD improove things but a lot of other things can be cuasing this. wear in the gears, linkages, anything

also as I said from cold, my s2 is usually notchy, and goes away after 3 or 4 gear changes

NotJustPorsche
Subscribe: notjustporsche-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 10-20-2004, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

well i would do my own work..but with my schedule and the fact that I work on cars for a living...I get so tied up and overworked that i spend sunday sleeping and I dont have any of my tools at home either. Small things like oil changes and stuff I dont bother with..I'll let my friend handle it (although i'll make a note to ask him next time what weight he uses).

However, when the clutch went and the front steering link and steering rack went....I changed that all myself.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: