Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

S2 to 951

Hi all,

I have been tracking my S2 for the last 2 years with great success, however I'd like a bit of a change.

I am looking at getting a 951 and start some mild modding to it, the question is will I regret this?

90 S2 stock + Koni/Eibach coil-overs, LSD.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Nope.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Only regret I have ever heard expressed is with Turbo 'spool-up' lag time.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I've owned both a turbo and an S2.

S2 is a better daily driver. By far. not even close.

In stock trim, lap times are suprisingly close.

The big difference is that there are so many proven performance upgrades for the 951 available that I'm starting to drool right now thinking about it.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TCMdocs944
Only regret I have ever heard expressed is with Turbo 'spool-up' lag time.
Turbocharge a supercharger and throw it on there. haha I laugh every time i think of that brilliant concept
Old 10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone,

Dantilla,

My car is mostly track and the odd weekend car.
I am looking at the turbo because of its potential as well.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

You could always throw a turbo on the S2. I dont know if guys get that advanced on here, but Rennlist has a few guys that have done it. If you are going to track the 951 as well, spool wont be a big problem, there are also tuners like Vitesse that have fast spool turbo's if its a big issue for you... mostly TO4 I believe.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 952
You could always throw a turbo on the S2. I dont know if guys get that advanced on here, but Rennlist has a few guys that have done it. If you are going to track the 951 as well, spool wont be a big problem, there are also tuners like Vitesse that have fast spool turbo's if its a big issue for you... mostly TO4 I believe.
I did research into the cost of bolting a turbo on the S2, but I think given I can get good money for selling my S2 as is, it is easier to get a 951 and go from there.

I am planning first stage is to get a 3" exhaust, get an autronic and remove the afm and see how I go from there.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

You should really talk to Danno (guru racing) about getting a Link MAP kit in either piggy back or standalone. Very flexible and proven. Good idea about starting with the computer, that was my first mod in the plan...
Old 10-21-2004, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I am in Australia and Guru is in the u.s somehow I don't like remote tuning

I haven't modded a 951 before but I have done a couple of wrx and have tried Link, Unichip, PowerFC, but you know in the end its the tuner that is the most important aspect of the ECU mod.

I know a very experienced Autronic/Motec tuner it would be a matter of how much it cost to wire in the Autronic as they don't have plug-in for 951.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Oh dirty Aussie! I didnt eve notice... there is a guy in Sydney tuning a 951 with a LinkPlus. Having said that, the Link is way cheaper than the Motec... and the interface is very easy to use. I am in NZ trying to mod and tune my 951, so I know how hard it is, I do a lot of research on parts and mods...

PS PD make a harness that makes the Link a plug and play EMS. I looked at re-wiring the stock loom, and it was a nightmare. At least with the Link and PD harness you use the stock sensors and it plug and go, I could even send you a MAP that you could use as a basis for tuning, though its setup for 850cc injectors, you can just lower the master fuel and go from there.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It costs A$2.7K to fit and tune an Autronic in a wrx, so it would be how much it cost to wire one up for the 951.

The Link and will be my next choice.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Banned

Yeah, but there would be 100's of WRX's running a Autronic in Aussie... it wont ba as easy with a 951 if even possible, it would be similar money to get a link with a new swish PD harness in. The labour bill for fitting to the stock harness will be HUGE, and thats assuming the Autronic has a sub-board that will accept the triggering format of the 944 turbo, which I seriously doubt it has. We have a 132 (IIRC) trigger which is unlike any other...
Old 10-21-2004, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the headups, I am not going to rush into the Autronic before I could tie down the cost.

I have to find a 951 yet, although there are a couple I am looking at the minute.

What does PD stand for?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

Performance developments

http://www.performancedevelopments.com/home.php

I would check if the Autronic even has a sub-board that will work with the triggering first. Shame you guys pay so much for 951's over there!

Old 10-21-2004, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: