Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

clutch problem

I have an 86 944 turbo and my clutch grabs very high most of the time, but when the car is ice cold the clutch sometimes grabs low where i like it. The clutch is also very stiff especially when the car isnt running. Can somebody please give me some ideas cause im stumped.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

When was the last time the fluid was changed?

Might be time for a bleeding and fill with dot 4....

....Just an idea...
Old 10-20-2004, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I already tried putting fresh fluid and bleeding the system
Old 10-20-2004, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
You may need to bleed at the clutch slave cylinder, since it feeds off the brake system. It also may mean that there's a problem with the clutch fluid line or cylinder seals. Adjustment of where the clutch grabs can be made at the pedal linkage (see a Haynes manual).

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-20-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

one of the problems fixed itself today when i was driving and heard some weird noise then my clutch started feeling soft like any other car. It still grabs high but its much better. I think something mustve been jammed up in the clutch
Old 12-21-2004, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The throw out bearing rides on a piece of tubing. You can pull the starter and squirt a bit of lub on the back side of the TO bearing and the tubing.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
The throw out bearing rides on a piece of tubing. You can pull the starter and squirt a bit of lub on the back side of the TO bearing and the tubing.
Tubing? What are you talking about, Hugh?

I just replaced my clutch with a Cup Clutch from the original that had the 4 big outer springs and those damn 6 little inner ones that like to jump out. We did everything according to plan and all the write-ups, including the Porsche workshop book.

The pedal effort with the new clutch was shockingly easy compared to the old one. I think it has to do with all new bearings, new grease, etc. I don't know if I would try squirting grease on the TO bearing but if you are looking for a half-assed fix and are willing to actually do a real clutch job if all goes wrong it is worth a try. The throw out bearing is sealed - no getting new grease in there. The only thing you can grease is where the fingers of the clutch fork grab the bearing. My old TO bearing was so bad that you could spin the PP on a bench and hear the TO bearing squeek and grind.

As far as adjusting the clutch play go to page 30-1 of the Porsche manual. Basically what it says is that the clutch can't operate correctly unless there is 0.5mm clearance between the push rod and master cylinder piston. So you need to adjust the rod where it connects to the pedal and do it by pushing with your hand. You want the pedal to depress around 3mm at the pad where your foot is before it contacts the master cylinder piston. It is a black art feel sort of deal with the clutch pedal spring fighting you but you will figure it out sooner or later. You might want to paint the threads so you know where to start over again at ground zero. And have fun working down there if you are over 2 feet tall.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by IceShark
Tubing? What are you talking about, Hugh?
Item 12.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Another problem is the forks on the throw out arm cracking and bending.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Oh, I know that little bugger.

I checked out the arm. Didn't do a magnaflux - it looked pretty good to me.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
When the ends of the arm break you don't need a magaflux to see them. Although some of us need glasses to see anything.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Also the ends of the clutch fork get pretty worn (and or bend). I can definitely see how those would bind things up.

Either way a clutch job may be close in sight.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 12-22-2004, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ae1969
Either way a clutch job may be close in sight.
While I am a full and paid up member of that secret order there are still 3 words that strike fear in my heart. "944 clutch job".

Old 12-22-2004, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: