Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Water Pump Maintinance questions

Ok, im looking into a car, and the water pump hasent been changed since 96, which was 53k miles ago. It was pressuer tested once in april, and passed with flying colors, and more recently 2k miles ago in may and again passed with flying colors. What do you guys think i should do? What can happen if i leave it be, and it starts to fail?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SlowToady
Leave it. Per my understanding, this is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" deals. You'll know when it is going bad because you'll be leaking coolant.

If it passed that easily, I wouldn't be worried.

Fakelife.com Nothing to do with archery anymore. Porsche/BMW/Ferrari/Honda videos
Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Unfortunately, on these cars, it's not leaks that you have to worry about. These water pumps have a tendency to seize the bearings. The water pump is driven by the timing belt. If it siezes, the timing belt starts dragging on the pump pulley, and the timing belt can break. Now we all know what happens whan a timing belt breaks.

Most people change their water pump every other timing belt change. (about 60K miles) I have no idea what effect age has on the pump. Anyone else care to chime in on that subject?

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 10-20-2004, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I guess an important question for me to ask is, How do these things break, Do the slowly go, and then after a little bit Seize, or do they just all of a sudden go.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Not that I wouldn't be concerned about the pump but I'd really be concerned about the timing belt.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I would replace it, just to be on the safe side. You don't wan't it to go while your bombing down the highway at 99...er 70!!!

Regards
Misty
Old 10-21-2004, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jd944
Not that I wouldn't be concerned about the pump but I'd really be concerned about the timing belt.
T-belt was done. I have reciepts for it. replaced 12may04 2k miles ago. One of the times they tested the water pump was when they did the T-belt and said the pump didnt need to be changed.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I wouldn't be too concerned. The pump that I pulled off this spring was over 11 years old, and had a leak, twice. I did not get my core charge back though. The impellers had eaten into the pump housing, and the timing belt didn't snap. YMMV.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: